Dry Hopping in primary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbsdaddy

Reaction score
I just brewed my first IPA and it calls for dry hopping. do i have to rack into secondary, or can i just dry hop in the primary??

Thanks,

Just do it in primary about a week after FG is reached. That'll give the beer a chance to clean up & settle out to a slight haze. Then add your hops in a sack to keep it all clean & easy to rack to a bottling bucket.

I always dry hop in the primary. About a week before bottling, I toss hop pellets right into the brew.

I use a hop sack over the end of the siphon in my bottling bucket to catch any gunk.

I only dry hopped once before and it was in secondary... The next time I do it I will definitely try it in late primary. All the more opportunity to separate the beer from the hop gunk.

An alternative to disposable hop sacks is those stainless steel balls that you make tea with. You can get them at any department store for a couple bucks each. Toss your pellets in there and you have no racking issues. I like to toss them right into the keg and just leave it dry hopping the entire time i'm drinking the beer.

I recently just dryhopped in my primary with no bag or anything. I wouldn't recommend this though, there was quite a bit of floating hops that found their way into the bottling bucket. I minimized it as best I could, but will use a bag next time.

Dry hopping in a sack the way I did gave me one bottle with one lil floater in it. No issues with more loose gunk to worry about gumming up the works. Just clean & easy,not like you're gunna kill yourself for an hour puttin them in a sack with a quick not at the end. & those cheesecloth sacks can be emptied,rinsed,& boiled clean as new in a couple of mins in a small saucepan.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to drinking this one!!!!

this hobby is getting out of control! I wish i started this before the market tanked so i could really spend some money!!

+1 on the bag i did a snpa clone just dumped the hop pellets in the car boy and only got 46 bottles cause of all the trub

An alternative to disposable hop sacks is those stainless steel balls that you make tea with. You can get them at any department store for a couple bucks each. Toss your pellets in there and you have no racking issues. I like to toss them right into the keg and just leave it dry hopping the entire time i'm drinking the beer.

Do you just toss it into the keg, or attach it to the inside somehow?

I've never done this, but I have heard many suggest using plain dental floss to tie the ball to the OUTSIDE of the keg. the lid apparently seals just fine around the floss.

Latest posts

Back