Young RIS 1.022 FG but still a little cloying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2 month old RIS that I just kegged. It's conditioning around 70 degrees F. for as long as I can stay away from it. The OG was 1.093 with 77 IBU's. I was uhhhh just measuring it for the OG and of course, I had to taste the sample...or was that a couple of samples...

I'm liking everything about it except that it tastes a bit cloying. I realize that it is only 2 months old and at 1.022....but will any of the residual sweetness ebb away with several months of conditioning? Maybe after it's been carbonated and a little colder, it won't come across as being so sweet.

Any tips from RIS brewers would be appreciated.

i've found the carbonation cuts perceived sweetness a bit.

+1

1.022 is great for a RIS, IMO.

If you keg get a liter bottle and a carbonator cap and try some carbed, I think you'll find it no longer cloying.

That said, if you keg get it in a keg at this point. Easier to manage oxygen exposure and take samples. Also cheaper than a carboy and you can stack them.

Yeah, I tapped a RIS just a week and a half ago that had sat in the keg aging for 6 months. It started out at about 1.15 and finished at 1.03 and definitely tasted cloying, even a little syrupy. 6 months of aging, carbonation, and chilling and its now its about perfect.

Back