Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. I am actually surprised at how little color there is. I thought you would have had to use super clear or bentonite but man you let it naturally clear according to the blog. Very cool.

Looks great. I am actually surprised at how little color there is. I thought you would have had to use super clear or bentonite but man you let it naturally clear according to the blog. Very cool.

I do the same thing. It clears find on its own. I also don't bother waiting to have a yeast cake, I just pitch two packets of Montrachet. My local wine shop sells them for 75 cents each.

It actually has more color than the picture shows, there just wasn't enough of the wine in the glass to notice it. This is what it looks like bottled: http://instagram.com/p/oWP6IllVf9/

Got 6 more gallons started about 2 weeks ago and my margarita wine (lime and brown sugar skeeter pee) is finally ready to be bottled after 18 months of mellowing out the intense sourness of the lime. I hope I have enough bottles!

I stabilized and added my clearing agent a couple days ago, it's looking good. Can't wait to try it! I just started a pumpkin Apple wine and will be racking that soon but I'm not sure how the pumpkin flavor would do if I used that yeast cake for a second batch of pee so I will probably wait to get another one going

Tonight is the night to backsweeten, I'm thinking about using agave nectar but I'm not sure how much any suggestions, or comments on how it tastes from someone who had used it?

Tonight is the night to backsweeten, I'm thinking about using agave nectar but I'm not sure how much any suggestions, or comments on how it tastes from someone who had used it?

Use about 5 cups worth to sweeten the SP. That should be less sugars than the normally required 6 cups of sugar but the agave will be a little thicker so I would think a little less will be fine. At least that has been my experience with honey and it is similar to agave in viscosity.

After adding the nutrient and second bottle of lemon juice I woke up ~30 hours later to a nice big krausen and minor blowoff (counter, floor). Initially used a starter with EC1118, everything else as per directions. Had vigorous airlock activity within hours and I'm getting excited to start tasting 😉

image.jpg

Good violent fermentation and a very tan and murky color to the SP is a good sign as long as temps are not too high. Should be a good batch for you.

Ok, first off I would like to say thank all the forum members for all the knowledge I have gained over the past few weeks.

This is my issue: I mixed up a batch of SP Thurs, Pitched the yeast starter Friday . By Saturday there appeared to be no activity(SG 1070) so I gave it a good whisking and a couple of hours later there was thick layer of foam on top, whisked again, and by Sunday morning things seemed to be moving right along. So Sunday night I decide to check the SG.(to see if it was time for the added amounts of nutrients and energizer). Well, wouldn't ya know it, I broke my hydrometer (that Star San is slippery stuff) . I can"t get new hydrometer until Tues. afternoon.
So, should I go ahead and add the nutrients and energized today, Monday? ( I have no idea what the SG might be), or should I wait until i tomorrow afternoon when my hydrometer arrives?

Thank you for any and all advice.

Ok, first off I would like to say thank all the forum members for all the knowledge I have gained over the past few weeks.

This is my issue: I mixed up a batch of SP Thurs, Pitched the yeast starter Friday . By Saturday there appeared to be no activity(SG 1070) so I gave it a good whisking and a couple of hours later there was thick layer of foam on top, whisked again, and by Sunday morning things seemed to be moving right along. So Sunday night I decide to check the SG.(to see if it was time for the added amounts of nutrients and energizer). Well, wouldn't ya know it, I broke my hydrometer (that Star San is slippery stuff) . I can"t get new hydrometer until Tues. afternoon.
So, should I go ahead and add the nutrients and energized today, Monday? ( I have no idea what the SG might be), or should I wait until i tomorrow afternoon when my hydrometer arrives?

Thank you for any and all advice.

My batches attenuate at a constant rate of .01 per day so if it was 1.070 yesterday Id wait till tomorrow.

My batches attenuate at a constant rate of .01 per day so if it was 1.070 yesterday Id wait till tomorrow.

Ok thank you.
However I have no idea what the SG was yesterday, as that is the day i broke my hydrometer. The 1070 reading was from Saturday afternoon.
So assuming .01 per day is correct, It may be time add the nutrients and energizer now?

I ordered an Italian Verdicchio kit from Amazon back at the beginning of April that had popped up on Home Brew Finds for $35. It was my first wine kit ever so doing my due diligence I came across this thread!:D While the kit was still fermenting hard I gathered everything I needed for the SP. I'm allowing the kit to age a bit before I bottle it, but I put the SP in bottles a week or so ago. This is it:

I didn't add the third bottle of concentrate, it was already pretty tart so be aware of that if it hasn't already been mentioned. Everyone that's had some thinks it's good. I have to agree!

Ok. Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated.

In most of my SP batches, I missed the 1.030 mark for second addition, adding it as late as 1.010 or even 1.002. All the batches turned out fine, and you will have the new hydrometer long before it clears, so dont worry.

SP is hard to screw up as long as you are patient about letting it clarify after adding sulphites

Aging skeeter pee and putting it into wine bottles is definitely feigning sophistication. Sort of sounds like prisoners trying to compare their hooch to Amarone.

In most of my SP batches, I missed the 1.030 mark for second addition, adding it as late as 1.010 or even 1.002. All the batches turned out fine, and you will have the new hydrometer long before it clears, so dont worry.

SP is hard to screw up as long as you are patient about letting it clarify after adding sulphites

Thank you, that does make me feel better.

Here's a pic of my latest batch. I love this stuff and really don't see the need of the sparkelloid. Seems to me it clears just fine on its own.

1403224308721.jpg

Aging skeeter pee and putting it into wine bottles is definitely feigning sophistication. Sort of sounds like prisoners trying to compare their hooch to Amarone.

Aging the wine kit a extra couple of months, the SP is half gone while I wait. The bottles?... You got me.:eek:

Just started my first batch of this with safale s-04. Some say its hard to get this fermenting without a yeast cake cause of the acid in the lemon juice, but the safale has hammered right through all odds and going strong after two days.

When should I start checking for an OG of 1.050. My SG was exactly 1.070. I'm guessing 3-4 days??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm making two more batches of this soon, I'm thinking of doing one with Jack Daniels barrel chips and one with jalapenos. I love jalapeno lemonade

Hey guys. Making my first batch of this stuff. This thread is an awesome resource and everything is going swimmingly thanks to the 200+ pages of discussion here.

I've had it bubbling away for about 2 weeks and I'm pretty excited to taste the final product.

Hey guys. Making my first batch of this stuff. This thread is an awesome resource and everything is going swimmingly thanks to the 200+ pages of discussion here.

I've had it bubbling away for about 2 weeks and I'm pretty excited to taste the final product.

I recommend starting your next one as soon as you bottle this one!

I'm making two more batches of this soon, I'm thinking of doing one with Jack Daniels barrel chips and one with jalapenos. I love jalapeno lemonade

I have learned my lesson with Jalapenos. I made an apple/jalapeno wine, because I love to eat jalapenos.
However drinking jalapenos is something different.

you can always separate out 1 gallon of pee and soak some jalapenos in it as a test.

Good luck!
:tank:

I have had all kinds of pepper beers and never liked any of them, I make regular lemonade with jalapenos all the time though. I am worried about doing a large batch and using to much though, for a gallon of fresh lemonade I use two jalapenos but I don't know if a larger batch would use the same ratio or less so I am going to go very light, I will probably split the batch like you suggested and use a single jalapeno per gallon.

How would distillers yeast work for skeeter pee? I am considering using it and possibly freeze fortifying.

How would distillers yeast work for skeeter pee? I am considering using it and possibly freeze fortifying.

Probably NASTY! ...I have heard esp turbo yeast is disgusting. But it doesn't matter for distillers since ZERO yeast will follow thru to the product.

Well folks, its time for me to try to make some of this. I have made beer, and cider but never a 'wine', so I would like some input on my plans. I am going to do a smallish 2-3 gallon batch. I do not have a wine slurry, but I am going to white grape juice to start the yeast (plan on EC-1118 but I have to go to the LBS to get it). The juice I have is 64oz store bought, so it does have preservative/stabilizers in it. I am hoping that with a little added dextrose, the yeast will still kick off. I will make a yeast starter first.

Next I may use the fermenting grape juice to replace some of the water in the recipe, or I may decant and just use the trub/slurry. What are your thought on doing the former?

After fermenting this stuff dry, I plan to stabilize and backsweeten about half the batch. The other half will get backsweetened and bottled. Like I did with my cider, it will be enough sugar to burst the bottles, but I will check regularly (yum), and pasteurize when sweetness/carbonation pressure seem where I want them. That way we have sweet skeeter pee, and sweetish skeeter fizz.

Anyone have in ideas, things I may have missed etc? Thanks!

Back