Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question about using the Ocean Spray as a starter. Sounds pretty easy and potentially pretty tasty. I think you would still want to get the preservatives out of the lemon juice, though, so you could start aerating the lemon juice and adding the meta while the O. S. starter was multiplying.

It would be interesting to try!

Transferred mine from the primary last night. It was on a cab sav yeast slurry which has left it looking like pink lemonade.

A couple of thoughts:

Lemon can be a "difficult" juice to ferment, that's why Skeeter Pee is a unique method compared to typical wines. Cranberry juice is another "difficult" juice. There are natural preservatives in it that could make it tough to use as a strong starter batch. There are lots of other juices available. If you'd really like the cranberry-lemon combo, then I'd suggest making your starter using frozen welches white grape juice using Lalvin EC-1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee, then get your Skeeter Pee started, and add the cranberry juice at the same time that you add the third bottle of lemon juice. Make sure you take into account the extra volume with the starter and cranberry. Maybe you'll need to reduce water and drop to only 2 bottles of lemon juice.

As for the question about the invert sugar lemon juice measure: When I make my Skeeter Pee, I use lemon juice out of the fridge (meaning it's extra lemon juice above and beyond the 3 bottles in the recipe). It's only about 1/3 cup. If you don't have the extra lemon juice available, you could use it out of your first bottle from the recipe. It won't make a real big difference in flavor.

Cheers,
Lon

Is there any scientific reason that you couldn't stove-top pasteurize this stuff rather than use kmeta, sorbate, and sparkolliod to stop fermentation? I'm not a big fan of adding all that chemical junk into my drinks... so I'm thinking that pasteurization would be fine. Would this mess up the flavor in any way? It doesn't seem to effect beer or cider.

I think you would still want to get the preservatives out of the lemon juice, though, so you could start aerating the lemon juice and adding the meta while the O. S. starter was multiplying.

The lemon juice I picked up at my local Costco is "Organic Italian Lemon Juice" and doesn't list any preservatives at all so I was going to just skip the 24-48 "rest" to disburse the preservatives...but then I realized I should probably keep it in to allow any chlorine from my tap water to disperse as well.

Cheers

HW

Is there any scientific reason that you couldn't stove-top pasteurize this stuff rather than use kmeta, sorbate, and sparkolliod to stop fermentation? I'm not a big fan of adding all that chemical junk into my drinks... so I'm thinking that pasteurization would be fine. Would this mess up the flavor in any way? It doesn't seem to effect beer or cider.

If you aren't going to back-sweeten and are careful with your rackings and sanitation, theoretically you shouldn't need any of those chemicals. If you can't get it to clear, substitute the sparkolid ( a natural shellfish derivative I think) for gelatin or Bentonite (a natural clay material).

You do raise a good point though. I'm not sure if the wine industry uses pasteurization, though it seems to be pretty common in the wine industry.

Cider and beer are often pasteurized for commercial purposes, but I believe most wines are not pasteurized. This is partially due to the delicacy of wine, and also due to the high ABV% in wine compared to beer or cider.

My $.02

If u want cranberry flavor then use it to backsweeten instead of or with the sugar at the end.

I divided my 5 gallon batch into 1 gallon jugs and sweetened using frozen concentrate and sugar.1 can of concentrate and a cup and a quarter of sugar to be exact. The lime one I made is to die for!

Pics of Skeeter Pee from Dry Yeast

Thought I'd publish a pic of two batches of skeeter pee that I started from dry yeast. That thread can be found here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skeeter-pee-starting-dry-yeast-212915/

The carboy on the right is a batch started 12/19/10. It has been stabilized and has been clearing for a week.

The carboy on the left was started 12/31/10 and has been in secondary for a week.

I am getting ready to backsweeten my Skeeter Pee.
The recipe calls for 6 cups sugar.
Has anyone taken a SG of the backsweetened pee?

If u want cranberry flavor then use it to backsweeten instead of or with the sugar at the end.

I divided my 5 gallon batch into 1 gallon jugs and sweetened using frozen concentrate and sugar.1 can of concentrate and a cup and a quarter of sugar to be exact. The lime one I made is to die for!

Was this 1 can concentrate, and 1.25 cup sugar per each gallon jug, or was that to sweeten the entire 5 gallon batch?

So I made a batch of skeeter pee up on Friday shot pure o2 in it for awhile. I let it sit for 24 or maybe a couple more hours. I hit it with some more o2 pitched a yeast slurry off a old Apfelwein. I put a airlock on and it has sat at about 70 since then with no activity. This morning I resuspended the yeast and hit it with more o2. I still have no activity. I do notice that the vodka in the airlock moves form one side to the other sometimes. I have yet to take a hydrometer reading will do so tonight. If no activity is seem what do people suggest? re pitch? any advice would be appreciated.

Why would it not be possible to backsweeten it and then stove-top pasteurize it? I see that it was stated that you might be able to stove-top pasteurize it but only if it was not backsweetened. I am not trying to be argumentative, I am just trying to learn.

Thought I'd post my final stats for my first two batches of Skeeter Pee.

Total time from start to bottle: 6 weeks
Week 1: Primary
Week 2-3: Secondary
Week 4-5: Stabilized, degassed, clearing
Week 6: Backsweetened, making sure no renewed fermentation

I followed Lon's recipe except for two things. I started from dry yeast and instead of pouring 6 cups of sugar directly into the carboy to backsweeten, I made a simple syrup of 6 cups sugar, 3 cups water and heated to boiling.

Batch 1:
OG: 1.072
FG: 0.991
ABV: 10.6
FG after backsweetening: 1.020

Batch 2:
OG: 1.080
FG: 0.992
ABV: 11.5
FG after backsweetening: 1.022

Both batches taste wonderful. Very sweet, but not cloying. I might try less sugar next time. Tastes great out of the bottle, on ice, or mixed with gingerale or lemon-lime soda.
Definitely gonna be a staple this summer.

I'm totally new to this hobby so forgive me.

It looks like the Kmeta and the sorbate are to kill the yeast and it is bottled as a still beverage, is that right?
Is that necessary? Could I back sweeten with splenda and prime and bottle as a sparkling version?

Thanks

You should be able to. I'd say taste it with splenda first, to see if you really like that. Artificial sugars + alcohol for some reason don't always taste right. :eek:

If you take to the hobby, you'll probably get a keg eventually, and that's where you could met+sorb, sweeten, and then force carb. This stuff'd be DANGEROUS at that point. ;)

This sounds like a lot of sugar... Does this pretty much taste like lemon juice? My fiancee and I were just talking about making this and serving it with blended berries. Would it be good?

The original recipe picks up flavors from whatever wine you brew in order to get the yeast cake. If you brew it with dry yeast instead of a yeast cake, then I would suggest adding some other kind of flavor to it.

My $.02, which might be worth less than that, since I've never actually made the skeeter pee. ;)

This sounds like a lot of sugar... Does this pretty much taste like lemon juice? My fiancee and I were just talking about making this and serving it with blended berries. Would it be good?

It's really not bad. Think of it this way: if you mix up a batch of Kool-aid, it calls for the packet of sour powder plus one cup of sugar in two quarts of water. With Skeeter Pee, you're adding about 1 cup to a gallon, or half the amount of sugar found in a batch of Kool-aid. Remember that this beverage is dominated by lemon; a batch of fresh squeezed lemonade without sugar added would be an assault on your senses.

Captive said:
It's really not bad. Think of it this way: if you mix up a batch of Kool-aid, it calls for the packet of sour powder plus one cup of sugar in two quarts of water. With Skeeter Pee, you're adding about 1 cup to a gallon, or half the amount of sugar found in a batch of Kool-aid. Remember that this beverage is dominated by lemon; a batch of fresh squeezed lemonade without sugar added would be an assault on your senses.

I suppose that is true. I was worried when I saw it that it looked like a small amount of lemon juice, a lot of sugar, and a lot of alcohol. I was more just skeptical that this was going to taste like a boozy, fusel, lemondade.

Holy cow - this one has been an interesting read.... Was this about skeeter pee or egos?

Justibone, why so much advice when you haven't even made this?

The whole reason people are using a yeast cake is because there is so much active yeast that it will help to offset the poor fermentation environment. Making this from a dry yeast pack or two, when properly hydrated, accomplishes the same thing (a highly viable, large amount of yeast).

I highly doubt there are any detectable flavors that you get from working off a used wine yeast cake, unless you leave a ton of the wine on top the cake (especially with something as strong tasting as lemon juice).

People come to these forums for advice. I suggest that you give advice by thinking first. Speak about things you know. This thread has the most misinformation in it on anything I have read on HBT to date. 90 percent of the responses should be deleted.

Holy cow - this one has been an interesting read.... Was this about skeeter pee or egos?

Justibone, why so much advice when you haven't even made this?

The whole reason people are using a yeast cake is because there is so much active yeast that it will help to offset the poor fermentation environment. Making this from a dry yeast pack or two, when properly hydrated, accomplishes the same thing (a highly viable, large amount of yeast).

I highly doubt there are any detectable flavors that you get from working off a used wine yeast cake, unless you leave a ton of the wine on top the cake (especially with something as strong tasting as lemon juice).

People come to these forums for advice. I suggest that you give advice by thinking first. Speak about things you know. This thread has the most misinformation in it on anything I have read on HBT to date. 90 percent of the responses should be deleted.

I don't believe I said anything that deserved being called out on. If so, please quote it directly.

The reason I can offer information is because I read up on the recipe, and I have plenty of experience with wine and beer that is not skeeter pee. I also took the time to read the entire original site where it was posted. If you want to hyperventilate, feel free, it's the Internet... but if you're going to try to call someone out it is helpful to be specific.

Congratulations on winning the Tool Time award, though. :fro:

My direct comment to you was because you have been commenting on the cans and can't of the recipe since November, yet you had no direct experience with the recipe - give it a rest. I wasn't name calling like a child would. The rest of my comments were broad scope and meant to be constructive and not a jab. If you aren't mature enough to take them, that is your own issue.

The kinds of information (misinformation) being given was not only false, but it pushed a new person away. To me, that speaks all the words I need to say on the matter.

The point of the forums is to help assist and discuss. Not push your ego or ideas out there about things you don't know, and treat them as fact.

I call them like I see them.

My direct comment to you was because you have been commenting on the cans and can't of the recipe since November, yet you had no direct experience with the recipe - give it a rest.

You call me out for misleading, discouraging newbies, and having a massive ego, and then tell *me* to give it a rest? Is that the way you like your fights, for the other guy to just lay down and take it? I maintain that what I have said in this thread is accurate, and I appeal to the authority of the original website. Prove me wrong. You started this little brouhaha, now finish it by showing me up.

The rest of my comments were broad scope and meant to be constructive and not a jab. If you aren't mature enough to take them, that is your own issue.

Calling someone immature is certainly, certainly not a jab.

I cite the immediate post after yours as evidence of others' perception of your aggression.

Maybe you didn't mean to be a jerk, but that is exactly how you came across. Tool Time. :fro:

The kinds of information (misinformation) being given was not only false, but it pushed a new person away. To me, that speaks all the words I need to say on the matter.

What was false, according to you? Be specific, or don't, but I can't defend myself if you don't offer specifics. If you just want to wave vague accusations and paint your mud with a broad brush, that's fine, but it doesn't make you right. The essence of logic is what can be proven or disproven. Offer evidence, if you wish to be proven correct.

The point of the forums is to help assist and discuss. Not push your ego or ideas out there about things you don't know, and treat them as fact.

I don't need to defend myself on this score. My record of helping others is there for anyone to see. As for pushing my ideas, I only say what either a) I know personally from reading or experience, or 2) what a credible authority has said previously on the same topic.

The source of my information for skeeter pee is the original website. If you know more than the guy who invented the recipe, well, I'm sorry we're not all psychic masterminds like you, and I shall gladly crawl back into the sorry cave that serves as my lowly, lowly home.

I call them like I see them.

You accuse others of ego, and yet isn't this the supreme conceit, that you have access to the Truth whereas others are motivated by selfishness and vanity?

Cite specifics, or welcome to my personal ignore list. I won't waste any more time or posts on your vague accusations.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

You are removing all doubt my friend. And getting quite worked up.

http://www.skeeterpee.com/Skeeter_Pee/FAQ.html

Question #6

"Q: What wine slurry makes the best tasting Skeeter Pee?

A: First off, remember that slurry can add a hint of color and flavor to your Skeeter Pee, but it is usually slight. Very dark wines will turn your Skeeter Pee light purple or pink color; white wine slurries will give you a straw colored beverage. As for flavor combinations, just about anything works. Your finished product will be dominated by the lemon flavor, but it could carry hints of the originating wine. For this reason, I don’t use slurries from odd wines like peppermint, jalapeno, or tomato. Raspberry, crabapple, and peach are a few of my favorites."

A: First off, remember that slurry can add a hint of color and flavor to your Skeeter Pee, but it is usually slight.

Last time i checked, "can" does not mean "does".

How can you speak to the flavor profile off the yeast cake when you haven't made it. Several posters on this string have attested that they could not discern any flavor from the previous fermentation that took place on the yeast cake.

Look, dude. I'm sure everyone else is as bored as I am with this.

I'm sorry. You're right. I'm an idiot. Providing a link to the website of the inventor of the recipe is no way to answer a question. Consider me humiliated. You win.

So, unless you have more "misinformation" you want to call me out on, let it go, eh?

:afro:

I did let it go, I made my point. My point was never to humiliate, simply to encourage posters to settle down and make thoughtful responses from information they know. If you read it, cite it. Don't speak it as fact. Personal experience is what makes forum advice so powerful and positive.

A new user left because he/she thought our forum was giving unhelpful information, and being abrasive. To me there is no greater insult to us all as a group. We let them down, and made ourselves look bad in the process.

For the new guys curious about doing this recipe from yeast packets and not off a yeast cake:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skeeter-pee-starting-dry-yeast-212915/

Anyone try this from a mead slurry? Did it add any appreciable flavor? It's a small mead slurry or a slurry from Schramm's "Hefty Braggot" for me, which I can only imagine would ruin a beverage like this.

Making my first batch of Skeeter Pee today, and I'm using a slurry from a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. Do most people bottle in 12 oz bottles, bombers, or wine bottles? Also do you carbonate it or drink it still? My friend emailed the recipe originator and he said he doesn't carbonate. The concern was that it might taste too acidic. Any experience?

BeerWard said:
Making my first batch of Skeeter Pee today, and I'm using a slurry from a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. Do most people bottle in 12 oz bottles, bombers, or wine bottles? Also do you carbonate it or drink it still? My friend emailed the recipe originator and he said he doesn't carbonate. The concern was that it might taste too acidic. Any experience?

I kept mine still. SWMBO likes it with Sprite or even better sweet tea flavored vodka!

I put most of mine in beer bottles but filled a couple of wine bottles to take to parties

So I went to keg my skeeter pee tonight and boy what a mess that was. I racked it to a corney. Went to make a simple syrup to add to the keg to help it mix it in. When I went to dump the syrup in I got about half of it in and all of a sudden to foamed up and started pouring out like a volcano! Man what a mess that was. Anyone know the reason behind this? It seemed to be almost like a chemical reaction.

did you degas it before putting it in your corney? It's possible that you had some CO2 in solution which caused it to act like diet coke, with your syrup being the mentos.

+1 wooda

I would say that's probably the explanation.

Also, in order to get the best mix, you should put the simple sugar on the bottom of the keg and rack on top of it.

No I did not de gas. This is my first "wine" and wasn't sure about that step. Is de gassing just as simple as stiring it? Thanks for the info guys.

Back