1.200 20%+ 120 Minute IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually hooked up a cobra tap to it the other night. Its certainly extreme. Its like over the top bitter, over the top sweet... all in one.

hmm... I STILL have some of this beer and its effin AMAZING! I'm considering a rebrew to keep the tradition alive! Instead of brewing a english bitter for a yeast batch, I'm thinking about splitting 12gal dark lager recipe I'll be making this year and doing half with wlp099.

Looking to tone down the recipe to ONLY 18%, and 120 IBU, based on the DFH website. Ya... what is this... tone down? LOL!

Batch 86 - 120 Minute IPA
Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal Brewer: JD
Boil Size: 7.81 gal
Boil Time: 120 min Equipment: My Equipment

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.45 %
4.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.12 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.03 %
2.00 oz Magnum [13.40 %] (120 min) Hops 74.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.50 %] (120 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [10.50 %] (5 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1.00 items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0min)
1.00 items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Primary 7.0days)
13.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 39.39 %
1 Pkgs Super High Gravity Ale (White Labs #WLP099) [Starter 18927 ml]
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05)

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.169 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 19.83%
Bitterness: 125.8 IBU
Est Color: 7.6 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion,
Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 20.00 lb
Sparge Water: 1.46 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
86 - 120 Minute IPA Page 1 of 2
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
120 min Mash In Add 20.00 qt of water at 163.0 F 149.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 16.00 qt of water at 196.1 F 168.0 F

So, you can compare the recipe compared to what I did last time. I'm probably not going to go through the process of continually hopping although its kinda in the spirit of the beer. Grain bill contains a lot of carapils... as expected the beer has zero head retention at 22% ABV! HAH! I'm hoping for better this time. I know what this yeast in these conditions will do for attenuation so I have no doubts I can obtain a 19%+ ABV beer that finishes at 1.020. Last time I did this, the beer was staying around 1.020 while I was adding pounds of dextrose in. I stopped after a 24 hours after adding a half pound made the beer go to 1.024 or something like that. Anyways... we'll see how this works! Definitely will be a project as I'll still need to be adding sugar and oxygen on a daily basis for a while.

How has no one replied to this... I just read the whole thing, and as I was approaching the end I was getting dejected because the replies were all from '09. I then see that sirsloop posted a whole new recipe and everything?

To OP: Do you still have any of the 120 clone left? If not, when you finally killed it, did you notice a lot of change from aging? Did you bulk age or did you end up bottling? What about the blind taste test?

Heres to hoping for another monster brew log from sirsloop.

I actually have maybe 1.5-2 gallons left, bulk aged in a keg. Yes there is a very nice mellowing in it... its like a real nice SMASH barleywine... most people guess 10% ABV when they try it. I have all the ingredients for the batch I posted and will be tackling it probably after hunting season ends in Feb :p

Brew it... its a fun project!

I actually have maybe 1.5-2 gallons left, bulk aged in a keg. Yes there is a very nice mellowing in it... its like a real nice SMASH barleywine... most people guess 10% ABV when they try it. I have all the ingredients for the batch I posted and will be tackling it probably after hunting season ends in Feb :p

Brew it... its a fun project!

I just might brew it, especially when you said how much it costed you. I thought it was going to be something close to 130 bucks, but you said 75 and I was floored! Then again, I don't have a stir plate or a fancy pants aerator stone. You are lucky to have so much left after so long, I haven't had 120 yet, as it is so hard to get ones hands on down in SD for some reason. I'd like to try something like this soon, but I haven't even made a good 10% beer yet, so an undertaking like that isn't quite on the horizon yet. In any case, the homebrewing community needs more people like you, with your adventurous spirit and generosity of information. Prost!

keesh said:
I haven't had 120 yet, as it is so hard to get ones hands on down in SD for some reason...
I've seen 120 at quite a few stores in SD. If you're near downtown, call sid at the bestdamnbeershop.com. If he doesn't have it (unlikely) he can tell you where to get it.

~SB

I've seen 120 at quite a few stores in SD. If you're near downtown, call sid at the bestdamnbeershop.com. If he doesn't have it (unlikely) he can tell you where to get it.

~SB

Best damn beer shop is... well, the best! I love that place, seriously. Their selection is insane, the prices are AWESOME, and the 'make your own 6-er' has the best selection, ever.

I haven't seen DFH 120 there, yet.

Is Sid the shorter young dude with the brown hair? If so, I was going to go to his tasting event. It was 50 bucks to try a LOT of really great looking beers, including his 'secret' keg which turned out to be 120. I wish I had the extra money

Everyone there is really cool. The first time I went, I spoke with this dude Cisco for about 20 minutes about different beers, then about homebrewing, etc. He is a bigger guy (heavy) and seriously knows his stuff. Theres another dude who seems to work exclusively behind the homebrewing counter, a white dude, who seems to know his stuff pretty well too and he's also cool as hell.

sirsloop.. if i read correct you were doing 1 a day dextrose additions? i will be starting dextrose tomarrow on my version...(crapton of hops, different grain bill) but everything i have read was 2 or 3 additions a day. I am up for work at 430 and would like to not wake up even earlier if i can succesfully avoid it.

Back