Simplest (?) Keggle Cutting Jig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That porter cable will last you a lifetime. Great choice.

Can't beat the price either, $39 at Lowes. I purchased it tonight for this project. I have one more keg to cut the top off and then I'm starting the polishing process tomorrow.

Brewstand arrives on friday from the metal fabricator!

I'm going to be getting akeg in a few weeks. Stupid question but why not use the guard as a jig and run it along the rim?

Rys06Tbss said:
I'm going to be getting akeg in a few weeks. Stupid question but why not use the guard as a jig and run it along the rim?

What if the rim around the keg is bent? If you look at the pic I just posted the rim on the top of the keg is flat on one side.

What if the rim around the keg is bent? If you look at the pic I just posted the rim on the top of the keg is flat on one side.

With a bent rim, you end up with a smaller circle. I cut one for a friend that had a very big dented rim. Best you can to is remove the guard, but if you've had disks fly apart, you won't want to do that.

I didn't even think of that. The keg I'm getting is a very clean dogfish keg. I'll make sure it's straight before I cut or else I'll just make a jig

passedpawn said:
With a bent rim, you end up with a smaller circle. I cut one for a friend that had a very big dented rim. Best you can to is remove the guard, but if you've had disks fly apart, you won't want to do that.

I opted for the smaller opening. I did a dry run around a few times to confirm I had the arm extended as far as possible.

Thanks for the ideas! This is mine

keg.jpg

keg1.jpg

I did something similar except ran a rod all the way through.

I took a 1-1/4 inch coupler and sanded the inside down so the 1-1/4 inch PVC pipe would go all the way through. I also cut the coupler on one side so it would slide easier. Then ran a 5/16" threaded rod through the PVC pipe (M8 would be better but they didnt have one). Youll need some lube if you do it this way as its a tight fit, but the pipe hits the bottom and theres not any give so the grinder stays put the whole way around.

Keg Jig.jpg

Keg with Lid.jpg

Thats genius! I cut mine by hand with a dremel. It actually came out great, took about an hour+ to do though and around 10 large reinforced cutoff wheels.

Here is an even simpler one than the first of the thread.

Took a 1 1/4 T and cut about 3/4 inch off one side with a chop saw.

Run the grip from your grinder through the hole and hold tightly. Cut slowly. Also other ring marks were from other methods before I figured this out. Pretty smooth cut in the end.

Finish the edges off and your brewing!

ss1.png

ss2.png

ss3.png

Here is an even simpler one than the first of the thread.

Took a 1 1/4 T and cut about 3/4 inch off one side with a chop saw.

Run the grip from your grinder through the hole and hold tightly. Cut slowly. Also other ring marks were from other methods before I figured this out. Pretty smooth cut in the end.

Finish the edges off and your brewing!

That's pretty sweet.

But without securing the handle the T somehow, I'd be worried that it would move a bit and you wouldn't make a perfect circle. I guess you just keep the handle up against the part of the T that you cut, right?

Yes..I just put some gloves on to give me a good grip and held it very tight. I had a very small imperfection and took care of it with a flap disk. Hardly noticeable.

I wanted to do this today but my milwaukee doesn't have a top mount so I'm struggling to think of a jig to use. It has both sides however.

The ones that I have cut we just use the guard on the grinder it self as a guide, worked really well and didn't need anything special.

Nothing to add to the art , or science for that matter, cutting the top off a keg.

PP posted this thread nearly 5 years ago. It helped me greatly. I'm on a phone so can't see if it has been stickied. If it hasn't then Prost to this thread and Stickify it Mod Gods.

Nothing to add to the art , or science for that matter, cutting the top off a keg.

PP posted this thread nearly 5 years ago. It helped me greatly. I'm on a phone so can't see if it has been stickied. If it hasn't then Prost to this thread and Stickify it Mod Gods.

Hi Dan. This thread is located in the "Project Locator" thread, which is stickied. Lots of good stuff there.

This jig is so simple it hardly warrants a thread at all.

Old thread I realize....but why is everyone cutting the tops off instead of the bottoms? Having a bottom drain is awesome for cleaning and for getting every drop out. I have one of each and wish I hadn't made the mistake of cutting the top off the first one...... Anyone got a jig for cutting bottoms other than just following the rim?

Old thread I realize....but why is everyone cutting the tops off instead of the bottoms? Having a bottom drain is awesome for cleaning and for getting every drop out. I have one of each and wish I hadn't made the mistake of cutting the top off the first one...... Anyone got a jig for cutting bottoms other than just following the rim?

My keggles sit flat on the ground, so that wouldn't work for me, but I do see your point. I think there are a lot of brewers doing what you suggest, but it's not ideal for everyone.

I'll be doing this very soon. I'm imagining drilling a small hole in the center of the bottom, then having a bolt sticking out of the bottom of the jig fitting into the hole I just drilled.

I'll be doing this very soon. I'm imagining drilling a small hole in the center of the bottom, then having a bolt sticking out of the bottom of the jig fitting into the hole I just drilled.

that's a good idea. insert a bolt into the hole using a long magnetic holder (like the cheap ones you pick up screw with).

Just want to say this was the easiest diy ever. Luckily my grinder has 3 holes to mount the handle. I'll post a pic tomorrow, just need to hit it with the flap disc. My brother in law saw how quick it was and picked up a keg.

Just wanted to say thank to the OP. I made the jig and it worked great. Just an FYI, on my keg, i had to take the stem out before the PVC would fit into the collar. but after that, it was simple to cut the hole.

keggle.jpg

I would counsel anyone considering using kegs to cut the BOTTOMS, not the tops. Having a bottom drain in place is very nice and gives you a lot of configuration flexibility. Cleaning in place is easy, mash tuns drain every drop (without having to pull hard with a pump) and it's one less fitting to weld/solder into place.

I cut my keggle last weekend using the PVC coupler and the hose clamp. Worked well, but it took a very long time - about 20 minutes - to grind our way through the top. Also used up a whole grinding wheel on it. The flap disc is a necessity for this project IMO. I got one at Walmart for $5. The ones at Home Depot are $7 but much higher quality.

Late to the party, but here is the jig I used yesterday to decapitate a Sanke. It took about an hour to put the jig together, and cut this keg.

I used the top part of the keg spear as a bushing. You need to grind/file the two nubs off flush so it can rotate in the opening.

This was welded to a piece of scrap iron along with a piece of 5/16th all-thread rod and nuts. I used a total of two cut-off wheels to make the cut.

20170524_083939[1].jpg

20170524_083956[1].jpg

Back