2 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subzero829

Reaction score
I'm working on making my first batch and have found myself with two questions.

1) in the airlock I have heard that some people use vodka or sanitizer in place of water. Does this make a difference? And how high do I fill the airlock?

If its a 3 piece airlock there should be a fill line approximately half and either vodka or sanitizer is fine.

You take an OG reading before you pitch the yeast and you begin checking for FG after about a week of active fermentation, I usually wait until day 10

I'm working on making my first batch and have found myself with two questions.

1) in the airlock I have heard that some people use vodka or sanitizer in place of water. Does this make a difference? And how high do I fill the airlock?

It only makes a difference if you get some "suck back" of the liquid from the airlock to the fermenter. I use tap water in my airlock.

I usually wait 2 to 3 weeks to take a gravity reading. I'll have a good idea of what the beer should finish at and how long it should take so for me it is only a verification that the ferment is done and I don't have a stuck ferment.

It is hard to wait when you are brewing the first batch. Buy some good beer and try to let that homebrew age a little. I say again try.

Back