Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the beer that made me want to learn to brew. I can't find it anywhere around here...closest is an hour away in Nashville at the Flying Saucer (can't TOUCH $2.50 pint nights!).

I love...repeat...LOVE this beer. The Rogue Brewery is on my list of places to see before I die. Love the American Ale and the Dead Guy too...

Holy heck, does the $2.50 include Rogue H.B.N.? Because I'm payin' $6.95 for a 22oz here! :eek:

SWMBO and I stopped at the Rogue Pub in PDX last night for a beer (or three) and they sampled the Hazelnut Brown. Needless to say I had 2 of them (after the dry hopped Red). I really enjoyed it. They also have a hazelnut rum...wonder if using that for a little flavor and extra kick would work.

Wanted to bring this one back up, as I think I'm going to pull the trigger this weekend on this bad boy. Has anyone tried the recipe Don posted? Any luck finding hazelnut extract?

Kilted Brewer,

Did you ever brew this recipe? How'd it turn out? Did you use the faerie's finest extract?

Thanks a lot, this is one of my favorite beers and I wanna find a good clone.

mad...I didn't use Faerie's but used Brewcraft's extract....and used way too much. It was all Hazelnut. Beyond that the recipe was darn close.

I am trying this recipe. I have it in the fermenter but still need to track down some hazelnut extract to use.

As I'm not planning on using a secondary and as I don't know how much extract I will need to use, I am planning to add the extract, to taste, in the bottling bucket. Is this too late in the process for the addition? I would assume it's not. My real concern is with oxidizing the beer too much as I'd have to do quite a bit of stirring to mix in the extract properly.

I guess the other approach would be to take a gallon of water and add the extract to taste and from that work out how much I would need to add to the primary to get the same result. Probably not the most accurate method but I'd rather under flavor then have too much hazelnutiness.

Bottled this last night. Ended up using 2.5 tsp of the faerie's hazelnut extract for 3.5 gallons of beer. Everything tasted spot on, though a little the thin side I felt. OG 1.051, FG 1.011. 4 weeks in primary and then bottled. Will try one in three weeks.

Back