Budweiser American Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like others have said, it's not good, it's not bad, but it's decent compared to other craft beers. I find it develops a subtle hop character as it warms up to near room temperature. Too bad most bars and restaurants will serve it in a chilled mug.

But seriously, I didn't expect Anheuser Bush to mass market a beer that appeals only to beer enthusiasts. They're like the Microsoft of the beer industry - they produce beer that works for everyone but appeals to no one. After all, we've already got the Apple's of the beer industry - Rogue, St. Arnolds, Stone, Avery, etc.

It's okay.

I think it is "good enough" that I will have it on hand often in that it is better, IMO, than anything else on the shelve at my corner store. It makes for a nice lawnmower ale and also is decent enough to offer to anyone who is stuck on Macro lagers. Given the Bud label, it's morte likely the latter will try that one out and leave my homebrew for those who appreciate what it's about.

I heard in their advertising that they were using cascade hops for this beer, and I'd be lying if that didn't peak my interest. When I went to the store to buy some, it said on the side of the sixer that it was dry hopped! I couldn't believe it. It seemed too good to be true, and it was.

My first impression was disappointment. There may have been a trace of hop flavor/aroma in there somewhere, but I sure missed it. Why dry hop if your not imparting hop flavor at all?

The caramel malt flavors were there, and had considerably more body than I expected. Overall, it was decent, but totally lacking hop anything. Not too shabby and definitely a step in the right direction for Anheuser-Busch.

In summary, anyone that thinks this is Budweiser with ale yeast needs to get their taste buds checked.

In summary, anyone that thinks this is Budweiser with ale yeast needs to get their taste buds checked.

Fine for you - I still think it tastes like a darker Bud with a tiny hop pellet that was mistakenly dropped into it. The aroma is unmistakably Budweiser, to me. The aftertaste, unmistakably Budweiser. Just... some extra caramel sweetness and (trace of) hops thrown in the middle.

I'm not trying to be a big ol' d1ck. I'm not saying it's horrible - as I said above, I'd drink it if someone else brought a 6'er over. And I *DO* agree that this is a great way to get Bud Light drinkers to branch out a little.

But I'm not giving it a gold star for effort - It's not special.

Well, actually, It's from AB, it's called bud and it uses ale yeast, so yes it is Budweiser with ale yeast. But thank you for pointing out my defective taste buds, I shall rush right out and have them examined.

Back