The Good-One Marshall Mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castermmt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on the inter-web about modifying the “The Good-One Marshall” with a temperature controller using a PID, so I'll post my project here so others may benefit from.

I purchased a used The Good-One Marshall Smoker/grill off Craigslist back in August of this year. It is a great smoker and can smoke 1 to 26 slabs of baby-back ribs, or 6 Butts plus 6 Briskets at one time. It really is a neat piece of equipment. If you been following my Brewery build you will know I'm an all-Electric guy and love the control of the PID's on my "Kal Clone" gives me to ensure repeatable and consistent results every time.
So I was smoking some ribs for the first time and noticed I had to babysit the smoker so the heat didn't runaway on me and destroy my meat. I was aware that there are smoker/grill controllers out there that I noticed while looking for the right smoker to meet my needs. But my search for one that would adapt/fit a 3 inlet Marshall was not working out. I decide to make my own manifold header to port forced air when needed to all three inlets. The following is how I went about doing it. Hope others find it useful.

The inlet ports are just under 3 inches diameter, so I figured I’d need something that would cover them and found 3 inch galvanized stove pine from Menards may work so I went and picked up a few parts I felt would work.
• One 24 inch long by 3” pipe
• One 3 “ 90 degree adjustable elbow
• Two 3” saddle tee’s
• One 3" end cap
• One 36” X 3/8” threaded rod to make attaching bolts
• Three 3/8” connecting nuts (Long nuts used to connect two 3/8” bolts together)
• Three 3/8” wing nuts and large 3/8” fender washers
• Sheet metal screws to hold it all together

The centers of the inlets I found to be 9” centers. I found a piece of scrap 2x4 and laid out 3 marks with 9 inch centers and then made three 3” circles as my templet.

I trimmed the 24” X 3” tube to 20” and put the plug in to protect me from the sharp edges.

I installed the 90 Degree adjustable elbow and then set the 3” saddle tees on the templet to line thing up on the 9” centers. Once I had everything lined up, I install a few screws to hold it together to dry fit it and see if everything lined up and it did.

I then marked the inside of the tee where it need to be cut out and removed the screws and cut the holes using a drill and a pair of tin snips.
Put the screws back in and did another dry fit and was convinced I had it so I went ahead and screwed it all together.

I place the manifold back on the templet and transfer the 9” center lines to the top for the 3/8” blots and then drilled them.

I then took the 3 fender washers and put them in the vise to bend them to the contour of the 3” pipe for a snug fit and installed.

I installed the manifold and the blower fan and I’m waiting to test it shortly.
Hope this helps someone, castermmt

20140831_134440.jpg

20140831_124413.jpg

20140913_094309.jpg

20140913_094446.jpg

20140913_151844.jpg

20140913_152212.jpg

20140913_152225.jpg

20140927_185225.jpg

20140831_145706.jpg

20140901_103204.jpg

I'm going to use the QMaster-Senior I purchased off Flea-Bay to control the temperatures of the pit and the meat. I added the 50CFM fan so I'd have options because the controller is able to regulate the out put of the fan. The controller has both pit temp PID control and Meat temp PID control with separate probes. I used the "A" fan adapter to mount to the 3" end cap. It fit perfectly.:ban:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141271318842?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

controller.JPG

$_14.JPG

$_12.JPG

I'm adding a few pictures of the cover I came up with to protect the Q Master-Senior. It's a clear plastic to-go carton with a lid, I just cut a few simple notches and works great.

20150517_095428_resized.jpg

20150517_095455_resized.jpg

The controller is working great, I love it. I can set it and forget it for several hours for low and slow smoking as long as I have enough charcoal in the box. I highly recommend this device. If your going to spend good money on a grill and meat, you should back it up with control of the process and have repeatable results every time.

I believe that you should contact charcoalandmore.com in Sellersburg, IN and work out a deal with them to carry your mod. They are an authorized dealer for the Good One smokers and I bet they could sell the crap out of that deal. I cook competition BBQ in the KY area and I use a Stumps XL smoker with the DigiQ control. Anytime you can use a temperature control is always a good thing. Nice job.

I believe that you should contact charcoalandmore.com in Sellersburg, IN and work out a deal with them to carry your mod. They are an authorized dealer for the Good One smokers and I bet they could sell the crap out of that deal. I cook competition BBQ in the KY area and I use a Stumps XL smoker with the DigiQ control. Anytime you can use a temperature control is always a good thing. Nice job.

They are welcome to use the mod if they'd like. I always pay it forward whenever I can.

Check out the link to my PID controlled brewery, I'm all about control of the process to have repeat-ability.

Back