Did I foul up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsun1361

Reaction score
OK folks, I'm sure you've answered a thousand newbie questions but here it goes:

New to the board and homebrewing. Bought an intermediate equipement kit through Midwest Supplies. Bought several books and read them and internet sites like a maniac for about two weeks. Bought an 8-gallon brewpot, Hurricane burner and wort chiller (all this before my first batch, nuts, huh?)

Brewed my first batch Dec 31st, a "Liberty Cream Ale" from Midwest Supply.
All went well as far as I can tell, when it came time to pour the wort into the fermenter (6.5 gal bucket) through the supplied funnel with a filter screen,
the gook from the hops immediately plugged up the screen. It was taking so long I got worried about exposure (I know, don't worry, have a homebrew), so I just poured it all in figuring the stuff would just settle to the bottom.
After pitching and securing the lid and airlock, I remembered the advice about
swirling the wort around to get a cone of sediment in the middle of the pot, then siphoning so as not to get it in the fermenter. Anyway, too late for that.

I started seeing airlock activity within a few hours and it was chugging away merrily all New Year's day, started slowing down some yesterday.

Anyway, did I mess up my first batch by not getting all the hop slime out before putting it in the fermenter? Thanks in advance for your help...

Nope. You're fine. The trub (including all the gunk you tried to filter out) will settle. Your yeast was pretty active pretty quickly, you have nothing to worry about.
You really should be getting your next beer ready though, nothing to take your mind of the first one like the second one.

I have yet to filter out all the trub from the brew pot to the fermenter. I just dump is in as you did. Do not worry, it will be fine.

No problem. Even with a bazooka filter, I get a fair amount of curd from the pellets. It drops out.

I'm like anthrobe - I never filter my wort, it all goes into the brew tank. It comes out just fine. Just take a bit of care siphoning.

Back