First applejack....mmmmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hehawbrew

Reaction score
Finally got around to making my first apple jack. I racked a 2gallon batch to secondary the other day but decided to keep 3/4 of a gallon for applejack.....man, what a great move! Easy to do, tasty, and packs a punch!

Tomorrow I'm going to make a 2gal batch with the intention to make really strong AJ. Thinking 2gal juice, a few cups of sugar, nutrient, and 1118 will get me some high octane stuff!

image-1691591846.jpg

i made my 1st apple jack tonight out of a gallon of 13% abv cider. reduced 3 of the 1st liters down t one liter so its roughly 38% stuff. pretty smooth

It was pretty simple. Froze cider in plastic bottles then simply inverted them and let it drain into a pot then collected the liquid till ice was mostly white and no longer had color in it. Then bottled the concentrated cider. Boom apple jack

happyinsonoma said:
Remember you are concentrating poisons on top of.ethanol. Methanol and other volatiles low freeze points are flowing through in ice ddistillation.

I heard about this. Did some reading and watching. Seems both "camps" have good points. I figured if I have made it to 30 between GMO food, fluoride, and everything else the gov allows in our food/water, a bit more poison can't hurt :)

Also, It not like I'll be drinking tons of it......at once....

Remember you are concentrating poisons on top of.ethanol. Methanol and other volatiles low freeze points are flowing through in ice ddistillation.

Perhaps ice "concentration" (distillation is a very different process involving heat) is dangerous, but so it seems is every other good, and pleasurable activity in this world. The way you'd have to live to be "approved" healthy is not a life worth living.

Finally got around to making my first apple jack. I racked a 2gallon batch to secondary the other day but decided to keep 3/4 of a gallon for applejack.....man, what a great move! Easy to do, tasty, and packs a punch!

Tomorrow I'm going to make a 2gal batch with the intention to make really strong AJ. Thinking 2gal juice, a few cups of sugar, nutrient, and 1118 will get me some high octane stuff!

I find the picture of the apple jack with the Apple logo in the back to be an interesting touch. Did you do that on purpose?

Lol, nope! Didn't even think about it! Guess I should call this batch, Apple Mac!

Thx for the tips, i just made some high OG AJ, now to ferment it out and freeze it :) good thing i have a friend who is a chemist at the Stella cider factory here in Belgium so he can check the result on any 'nasties'

Yes you will concentrate methanol. But methanol is already produced in home brew cider you use for this. Drinking the jack is the same as drinking 3 times the volume in cider. If you can drink 3 ciders fine you can drink the equivalent volume of jack just as well. Also the reason methanol is bad in moonshine is because you are concentrating it more than two times that of apple jack. There is more methanol produced in moonshine mash then in cider to begin with.

JimmyJ said:
Thx for the tips, i just made some high OG AJ, now to ferment it out and freeze it :) good thing i have a friend who is a chemist at the Stella cider factory here in Belgium so he can check the result on any 'nasties'

I made a batch yesterday will the sole intent of AJ. Added 1118, lot of nutrient, and lots of sugar. Og was 1.08!

I made a batch yesterday will the sole intent of AJ. Added 1118, lot of nutrient, and lots of sugar. Og was 1.08!

Nice, should give some high abv alcohol! Did you just add the sugar to cold AJ because I cooked mine so the sugar completely dissolved in the AJ. My OG was 1.094 and I used 2 packages of wyeast 4021 pasteur champagne and of course nutrients. I hope it ferments out completely. Never made such high abv cider :)

Yeah- I warmed it all up in a sauce pan. You ate going to have some jet fuel!

Is there any benefit to aging applejack?

My Fg has been resting at 1.00, so, it came out to 10% ABV! Stuck it in the freezer tonight. Hoping all works out tasty so I can have an easy two week turn out with this stuff.

Also for recipe do you just mix apple cider and cane sugar. Is there any benefit to adding a small amount of dry malt extract (like one pound in 6 gallons). Has anyone added oak to final product. Lastly do you add half your sugar up front and add some later stepwise. Been contemplating making a jack.

Thanks
Jeremy

It cut off part of my previous post. Also looking for thoughts on the best yeast used and best temp. Was thinking about 1118 or K1-V1116 and fermenting at 67F +\- 2F.

The cider I made for this I used 2 gal AJ, 3 cups sugar, a few teaspoons nutrient, and lavlin1118. It ended up up at 10.2%... Froze it 48 hrs. Let it thaw 1.5 hrs. Yielded 8, 6.8 oz little bottles. Hot, but tasty!

hehawbrew said:
The cider I made for this I used 2 gal AJ, 3 cups sugar, a few teaspoons nutrient, and lavlin1118. It ended up up at 10.2%... Froze it 48 hrs. Let it thaw 1.5 hrs. Yielded 8, 6.8 oz little bottles. Hot, but tasty!

Thanks for the reply. Did you ferment at a controlled temp or just at room temp.
Thanks

Jeremy

I was just about to make a thread saying I was going to try out making apple Jack. Im going to make a gallon batch of cider at about 12-15 ABV. Im not sure what it will reduce down to im thinking probably about 4th? 3rd? so 1 gallon of cider will yield about 320z-48oz of Jack. Not sure, never done it. I have done tons of research on it though. Its one of the bucket list things to do. I remember my dad telling me about it when I was just a little kid (25 years ago) always wanted to try it but never could find it, so I am going to try to make my own.

I hear the hangover from it can be VERY intense. Im guess from concentrating the bad stuff as well.

***Little bit to chew on. Even at 18 ABV you cant produce enough methanol in a 1 gallon batch of any freeze made liquor that is deadly. The concentrated Methanol along with the Ethanol will produce a very euphoric type drunk however what comes up goes down hard! and methanol will bring you down to the point of bed ridden for a day. So even if your a heavy drinker I would limit my consumption of Apple Jack...But who follows the rules?

jtrux said:
Thanks for the reply. Did you ferment at a controlled temp or just at room temp.
Thanks

Jeremy

Room temperature . Between 70-75 if I had to guess.

Out of two gallon, I got around 56oz between what' I bottled and what I saved for my sample drink.

It's def a drink that needs to breath a bit and sipped on to get the full flavor.

this is a theoretical question so please feel free to tell me to remove it if I cross a line. but since Methanol has a lower vaporization point than Ethanol, would it be possible to (for lack of a better term) cook or 'pasteurize' the already freeze-concentrated AJ to get rid of methanol and reduce the harmful stuff but keep the good booze?

this is a theoretical question so please feel free to tell me to remove it if I cross a line. but since Methanol has a lower vaporization point than Ethanol, would it be possible to (for lack of a better term) cook or 'pasteurize' the already freeze-concentrated AJ to get rid of methanol and reduce the harmful stuff but keep the good booze?

Interesting idea. What are the points of each and water is 212. You'd have to walk the fine line of maintaining the temp between the two for a length of time throughout the batch. Seems difficult.

Interesting idea. What are the points of each and water is 212. You'd have to walk the fine line of maintaining the temp between the two for a length of time throughout the batch. Seems difficult.

according to wikipedia, the respective boiling points are 148º F for Methanol, and 173º F for Ethanol. on paper, I think the hard part would be finding an effective temperature control for an electric stove, but whether or not it would do any good is still unknown.

Maybe a double boiler like for melting chocolate? That way the pot doesn't actually come into contact with the burner. Not sure if it will work, but let us know.

I'm gonna try this this week with some cider I made from nothing but concentrate. It's frozen right now, so just a matter of sitting it out tonight, I guess! Think I'll just put a colander in a big stock pot and tip the jug into it. Will report results!

Just finished, er, jacking. Yep, jackin' it in my kitchen.

Impressions:
-Jesus, this stuff is strong. The ice cider it was based on was already pretty potent but this is just hellacious. It tastes like someone melted apple jolly ranchers in whiskey.
-The viscosity is pretty high. Much thicker than a grain spirit or even brandy. It's kind of like rum. Perhaps a lower sugar initial batch would make it thinner.
-I got back about 1/3 of my initial volume. Toward the end some of my ice wasn't giving up it's apple-ness and the rest was melting, though. If my jug that i was distilling from was less contoured than the apple juice jug i used, it would probably have yielded about 2/5 of my total as liquor.
-Although it burns going down, it does not literally burn, putting it below 51% alcohol. HOWEVER, a lit match placed in it flares before going out, so it's close.

Overall it's a neat experiment, but I'm not sure if I'll really repeat it. Unlike cider it's not something I think I'd drink with great regularity. On the upside, bottling it let me try out my new capper, so for the first time in my life if someone asks me what I did on my lunch break I can say "grabbed a whole bunch of liquor and headed for my Ferrari," and that's pretty rad.

Let us know what you find out

Back