Flyng dog brewery - Snake Dog IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glynn

Reaction score
I am a big fan of snake dog ipa and wanted to make an all grain version of it for fun so i sent off an email to flying dog. here is there response, the reformulated recipe is below but i dont know how much salt or gypsum to add any ideas

Dear Glynn,

Thank you very much for writing us. It is great to hear how much you love Snake Dog and that you are attempting to homebrew it! You actually have a really close recipe. I have a few suggestions:

· Increase your caramel malt a little bit

· Increase your total grain bill or try to better your mash efficiency so that you hit closer to your target gravity (a target of 1.066 is about right)

· Collect more in the kettle and boil for 90 minutes instead of 60

· Use American Ale 1056 instead of 1272

Your hop additions look pretty good. You may want to consider mashing at a slightly higher temperature to have a higher ending gravity. Do you use gypsum or any salts in your mash or boil? If not, I recommend using a little in the mash and boil. Hopefully this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I look forward to hearing back from you on how it turns out. Thanks again for writing and for supporting Flying Dog.

Cheers,

Ben Sayler

Quality Manager

Flying Dog Brewery

[email protected]

cell-xxx-xxx-xxxx

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube." -Hunter S. Thompson

Message Body:
I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you how much i love your snake dog ipa. I been an avid home brewer since 1993 and would love to brew something similar to it. now I don't expect you to give me your exact recipe but if you could look at my recipe for it and give me some suggestion/direction i would be very appreciative

Snake Dog ipa
American IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 6/30/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 7.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 5.30 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal Est Mash Efficiency 85.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Rahr Pale Malt 2 row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 94.5 %
12.0 oz Cargill Caramel - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.5 %
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 3 31.7 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 4 -
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 13.7 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 10.0 IBUs
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 5.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 60.9 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.5 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 12.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.35 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 17.19 qt of water at 159.1 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 4.35gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

I am drinking the original now and I have added recipe this to my brewing schedule! Considering I am cheap and don't have the hops listed in stock and my basement is 76F right now and this uses 1056 it will be a few month but this in in my brewing schedule for the fall!

Would love to hear how Ben's suggestions influenced the recipe. I'm a BIG fan of Snake Dog as well and drink it often.

Jeff

Would love to hear how Ben's suggestions influenced the recipe. I'm a BIG fan of Snake Dog as well and drink it often.

Jeff

the only change made to the recipe was increasing the caramel from 8 oz to 12 and boil time. As far as the gypsum i am thinking of add 2 teas to the mash and 2 to the boil. in his note he made a comment about increasing my eff to hit an og of 1.066. i cut and pasted recipe from bs and it added an act measured gravity which was real low. i haven't made this one yet

Thank you sir!

If you have a .bsmx file and wouldn't mind sharing, that would be awesome...save some typing. ;-)

Glynn,

Did you ever make this recipe? If so, how did it turn out? I'm looking at brewing it next weekend and wondered if any changes were suggested.

Thanks,

Jeff

I have not made this one yet, it is in the plans but i had to make my holiday brew first and i only have one primary

Roger that. I noticed there were a couple of variations of the recipe on Hopville, but I'm going to run with this one as it is a bit more detailed and you had advice from Flying Dog. I'll follow up after I get this in kegs and have a taste.

make sure that the grain bill fits your efficiency style. i had to up mine to meet the og because my total efficiency was off and and it messed up that original one i posted

2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
1.00 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
14.00 lb Pale Malt 2 row (3.5 SRM) Grain 3 96.6 %
10 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.4 %
0.75 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 35.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 10.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 6.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Just a quick follow up on this recipe. It turned out to be one of the best I've ever brewed. I'll be brewing it again real soon. Thanks for the recipe, Glynn!

Wow. Thanks Did you compare it to the original by chance

Looks good, a lot like my house IPA grain bill (just different hops). My friends and I can't get enough of it:

14# 2-row
1# Vienna
1# Crystal 60
1oz cent 60
1oz cent 15
1oz cent 10
1oz cent 5
1oz cent 0
1-3oz cent dry

1056 but more recently San Diego Super Yeast

I recently took a tour of the Flying Dog brewery. I absolutely love the Snakedog as well, but I'm thinking they must've changed the hopping schedule, because I asked one of the brewers about it. He told me Warrior for bittering, and a blend of Cascade/Citra for late addition and dry hops.

That said, he also told me that they recently changed the dry hop schedule for the DoggyStyle to include Citra, so perhaps they've been doing that with a lot of their beers. This is a great IPA, though. :mug:

Really excited to make this today.

Only issues is that I only bought 12# of 2-row (plus the caramel..). It is a 5 gallon batch. I have rye, munich 10l, and white wheat lying around. Think a pound of any of them would do me good? Or just skip it and hope for max effeminacy?

Cheers,
Saul

Sshamash said:
Really excited to make this today.

Only issues is that I only bought 12# of 2-row (plus the caramel..). It is a 5 gallon batch. I have rye, munich 10l, and white wheat lying around. Think a pound of any of them would do me good? Or just skip it and hope for max effeminacy?

Cheers,
Saul

Skip the Rye. Give the Munich a shot. This is not a light malted flavor beer. Might be good.

Well it only took me a year to do it but i finally brewed a version of my original recipe. Better late then never lol

Glynn said:
Well it only took me a year to do it but i finally brewed a version of my original recipe. Better late then never lol

Let us know how it turns out. I went with Warrior for bittering and citra/cascade for flavor and dry. Turned out lovely.

Back