Witbier What the WIT - White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swig_A_Bedder_Brew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Crisp and refreshing. perfect for summer
I recently had a couple of local NY "White IPAs" A combination Belgian WIT and an American IPA. One by Saranac and the other by Blue Point. (I prefer the Saranac) My lovely wife also could not get enough of the Saranac and I decided I had to try to put one of these together. I took a couple bottles to my LHBS and my fav beer store to get their opinions and they loved my take on this mix of styles.

The IBUs look high but there is a really nice balance between the wheat and hops. I might add a little more of the coriander to the next batch that is on deck again for the next brew day I get.

I have been having poor efficiency lately so you may have a higher OG then I had. Only about 65% eff the past few batches :-(

6# Pilsner
5# White Wheat
1.5# Flaked Wheat

1.25oz Centennial 60min
1oz Amarillo 30min
.75oz Centennial 10min
.5oz Amarillo 10min

.5oz Coriander 5min
2 whole orange peels (I peel two fresh oranges and have a snack at this point in the brew day)

2oz Amarillo DRY HOP 14 days

Prime and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like....just what I'd want. Anything you'd change? Would you consider replacing the 1056 with a Witbier yeast or spicy Belgian specialty yeast?

And do you have a picture?

I would add a full 1oz of coriander and maybe even up the bittering hops another 5-10 IBUs. The hop profile is really smooth and balanced now so I wouldn't go too far off from it.

I was also thinking of using a WIT yeast but then it would really just turn the beer into a hoppy WIT and not the hybrid I was looking to create. If you use it let me know. Maybe split the batch and do one with 1056 or neutral ale yeast and the other with a WIT or saison yeast? I would stick to a cleaner finishing yeast if you want the hop flavor to come out.

I'll try to post a pict this weekend when I crack another open!

Is this done yet? How did this turn out? I tried to do something similar(I really like saranac's white IPA as well), I don't have my notes with me but I used 1056 and was wondering how it would turn out compared to a wit yeast.

Its done and almost gone.
Loved it and making another batch soon!

I used 1056 as well and thinking of doing 10g and splitting it with 1056 and a Wit yeast to compare.

Made this with all simcoe and some galena at the beginning...turned out amazing crisp and hoppy

I have an american wheat ale brewing with Wyeast 1010, and was thinking of brewing a white IPA with the washed puck. Has anyone tried this? I wonder if the 1010 will push it out of the style.

Mashed at 152
Planning a other batch with all galaxy hops.

(Sorry for the late response, have a new little ine running around the house and less time to brew.)

So had a pretty good brew day for our first All Grain. We substituted flaked oats for the wheat and also had a little bit more coriander and it was fresh ground. We had a nice snack as prescribed and put 2 sweet orange peels in the boil.

Mash stayed at a pretty constant 150* after losing only 2* during. Not bad.
Batch sparged at 170*
Our OG was 1069 and we had 86.7% efficiency with about 6 gallons of wort.
I might primary this for 2 weeks then 2 weeks in secondary with dry hop.
Used Wyeast 1056. First time using liquid as we had done starters on dry before.

brewing this as i type! i have high hopes for this one. my amarillo hops didnt get here so im gonna sub it out, but i may be brewing this again soon and adjust the hops a lil after trying it.
so pysched for this brew!

The OP did say his efficiency was low. Your og was almost the same as mine. I had thought mine was high but perhaps with better efficiency that is where this recipe should be. I did a 2 week primary. Just moved it over to secondary Monday. Interested in your results as well.

I brewed this a few times with two entire orange peals (white bits too) and one oz corriander in the last fifteen minutes of the boil. It's been my favorite homebrew so far!

i tend to have slightly low efficiency so i usually compensate by upping the grain bill. i just sorta ballpark it in my head. lesson learned on this one. mine came out darker than it should have, but i suspect it's still going to smell wonderful and taste good. i'll post some pics so you guys can see my mistake

I brewed 5 gals this past weekend, using hops that I had on hand:
1 oz Columbus @ 60
.6 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ flameout.

I'm looking for suggestions on what to dryhop with. I can go to my LHBS and get an ounce or two of just about anything.

Will be making this recipe soon. Do you leave the orange peels during fermentation?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Any suggestions for making this recipe with extract & partial mash?

Here's my stab at it:

Extract:

Replace the grain with 6 lbs of Wheat DME (Briess Bavarian Wheat is a good example).

However, you won't really get the creamy mouthfeel and color of this beer without using flaked wheat. For that you'll need a partial mash.

Partial Mash:

Mini-mash 1.5 lbs of Pilsner malt with 1.5 lbs of flaked wheat at 152 degF for 45 minutes. I would suggest mashing with about 4-6 quarts of water. Sparge with a couple more quarts of water, and add that all to your brew kettle.

When the boil begins, kill the heat and add 5 lbs of Wheat DME, or 6 lbs of Wheat LME. Stir, turn the heat back on, and follow the rest of the recipe as normal.

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe conversion! I'm looking forward to brewing this White IPA.

I re-wrote this recipe to make it a mini-mash/extract recipe so it was complete and all in one post:

5 lbs Wheat DME
or
6 lbs Wheat LME
1.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.5 lbs Flaked Wheat

1.25oz Centennial 60min
1oz Amarillo 30min
.75oz Centennial 10min
.5 Amarillo 10min

1oz Coriander 5min
2 Whole Orange peels

2oz Amarillo Dry Hop 14days

Yeast: 1056

I'm hoping to pick up the ingredients needed this week and brew this next weekend! Just in time for late spring/early summer!

Add 6oz of midnight wheat of carafa special and make it a Black White IPA (aka a Cascadian Dunkel Weizen if you live on the west coast)

I bought all of my ingredients this week to brew this White IPA! I had to change a couple things based on availability and packaged amounts.

1. For the 5 lbs of DME, I had to go with 6 lbs of Bavarian Wheat. Should I try to still only use 5lbs, or can I use all 6lbs?

2. For the 1.5 lbs of flaked wheat, I had to get 2lbs. Can I used 2lbs, or should I try to cut it back to 1.5lbs?

3. For the yeast, my local shop did not have the Wyeast1056. They recommended Safale US-05. Would that still work?

Thanks!

I bought all of my ingredients this week to brew this White IPA! I had to change a couple things based on availability and packaged amounts.

1. For the 5 lbs of DME, I had to go with 6 lbs of Bavarian Wheat. Should I try to still only use 5lbs, or can I use all 6lbs?

2. For the 1.5 lbs of flaked wheat, I had to get 2lbs. Can I used 2lbs, or should I try to cut it back to 1.5lbs?

3. For the yeast, my local shop did not have the Wyeast1056. They recommended Safale US-05. Would that still work?

Thanks!

1. You can go 2 ways with this. Option A is to use only 5 lbs of DME, and save the rest for another beer or for yeast starters. Option B is to use all 6 lbs, which will make the beer a bit bigger. If you go with option B, you'll have to up your hopping rates a little bit to account for the higher gravity. Personally, I would go with option A, as it's truer to the original recipe.

2. You can use 2 lbs of flaked wheat, but the beer will be a little higher gravity, and you'll need to add an extra 1/2 lb of pilsner malt to convert the extra wheat. You could also go with the original recipe and save the 1/2 lb of flaked wheat for another recipe.

3. US-05 is, for all practical purposes, identical to 1056. It will work well.

Gestalt, thanks for the quick feedback.

Today was the brew day!!

I opted to go with the 5lbs of DME and 1.5lbs of flaked wheat to keep the recipe original. Everything went to plan. I added in the coriander and 2 orange peels during the final 10 minutes of the boil. The only troubling issue with this brew was that my OG was 1.030. I guess ultimately I'm not as worried about the alcohol content as much as whether or not the beer tastes good.

Do I have any options to increase the OG? Do I need to increase the OG???

The only thing I can think is maybe when I was guesstimating the 5lbs of DME out of a 6lb bag, and the 1.5lbs out of 2lbs of flaked wheat, I under-estimated.

The only other thing I can think of is, I somehow read the OG wrong?????

Gestalt, thanks for the quick feedback.

Today was the brew day!!

I opted to go with the 5lbs of DME and 1.5lbs of flaked wheat to keep the recipe original. Everything went to plan. I added in the coriander and 2 orange peels during the final 10 minutes of the boil. The only troubling issue with this brew was that my OG was 1.030. I guess ultimately I'm not as worried about the alcohol content as much as whether or not the beer tastes good.

Do I have any options to increase the OG? Do I need to increase the OG???

The only thing I can think is maybe when I was guesstimating the 5lbs of DME out of a 6lb bag, and the 1.5lbs out of 2lbs of flaked wheat, I under-estimated.

The only other thing I can think of is, I somehow read the OG wrong?????

5 lbs of DME in 5 gallons will give you an OG of 1.045, and that's aside from the minimash. So either your volume is much greater than 5 gallons, you didn't use 5 lbs of DME, or you didn't read the hydrometer correctly. 4 lbs of DME in 6 gallons will give you an OG of 1.030.

If your volume is close to 5 gallons, and you think you used roughly enough DME , then you're probably fine. If your OG is really 1.030, your beer will not turn out well, but I don't think that's the case here.

I would recommend getting a kitchen scale to weigh out extract, grain, and hops. It can double as a scale for kitchen use.

I suppose its possible I didn't guesstimate the 5lbs well enough, and it was only 4.5lbs or so. But I also added the better part of 3lbs of flaked wheat and pilsner malt. Would those have increased the OG as well?

For the overall volume of water, I can't be certain either this time. Normally I use one of my Ale Pales, but mine are already in use. I used a 5gal Culligan water jug which does NOT have volume levels marked. Looking back at it, I should've measured my OG WHILE I was adding water, not just when I 'thought' I was at 5gals. Rookie mistake perhaps.

Gestalt, I hope you're right and I just read my hydrometer wrong. If it means anything, it's been about 28 hours since I pitched the yeast and my airlock is going crazy. There is a CO2 bubble popping out every 5-8 seconds, so there definitely is fermentation taking place. The sample I tested with my hydrometer was super cloudy - I think I mixed up the trub too much when siphoning. Would excessive trub in the sample cause false gravity readings?

I suppose its possible I didn't guesstimate the 5lbs well enough, and it was only 4.5lbs or so. But I also added the better part of 3lbs of flaked wheat and pilsner malt. Would those have increased the OG as well?

For the overall volume of water, I can't be certain either this time. Normally I use one of my Ale Pales, but mine are already in use. I used a 5gal Culligan water jug which does NOT have volume levels marked. Looking back at it, I should've measured my OG WHILE I was adding water, not just when I 'thought' I was at 5gals. Rookie mistake perhaps.

Gestalt, I hope you're right and I just read my hydrometer wrong. If it means anything, it's been about 28 hours since I pitched the yeast and my airlock is going crazy. There is a CO2 bubble popping out every 5-8 seconds, so there definitely is fermentation taking place. The sample I tested with my hydrometer was super cloudy - I think I mixed up the trub too much when siphoning. Would excessive trub in the sample cause false gravity readings?

Any fermentables you add will increase the OG. So, yes.

Usually trub does not have an impact on hydrometer readings, although you should strive for a clear sample, at least so you can see the hydrometer.

At any rate, looks like you've got fermentation going, so you're on the right path. Cheers!

48 hours after pitching the yeast and my airlock is still going crazy! Beautiful scent of hops and orange coming from the vent in the airlock! I cannot wait for this White IPA to be done!!

Latest posts

Back