Why cant I bottle my rye ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berniep

Reaction score
I have been bottling beers from my cornies for a couple of years now and I have never had the problems that I have been having with this beer.
I am using a picnic tap with the racking cane method.
What happens is that on the first bottle it starts out ok and about the time it gets to half full it will start foaming. I can see foam form on the sides of the bottle like it is having a reaction to something on the bottle walls. Other higher carbed beer will bottle fine in the same bottles. I have tried cold bottles, wet bottles, higher and lower dispensing pressures. I am currently dropping the carb level in the beer. It is carbed to about 10 psi but I think the fridge is a little cold but a keg in the same fridge at about 12 or 13psi carb level works fine.
It seem to dispense fine into a glass. I guess worst case I don't get to share it.

I don't have much experience here, but I have seen many videos where even with the bottling wand method, people will drop the psi to half of where you have yours set. But like I said, I haven't done it myself and seems like you have more experience. Might be worth a try.

tonyc318 said:
I don't have much experience here, but I have seen many videos where even with the bottling wand method, people will drop the psi to half of where you have yours set. But like I said, I haven't done it myself and seems like you have more experience. Might be worth a try.

Oh yeah i tried everything. So low it would barely climb the hose into the bottle and everything in between.

I've had beers like that. I'd fill to the top under pressure, and the moment I released the pressure it would foam out leaving a low pour.

homebeerbrewer said:
Try longer tubing. I use 10 ft of tubing, and have the pressure set to 5 psi. I also use a bottling wand inserted into a picnic tap. Cold beer and cold bottles is a must. Works fine for me.

Cold beer, beer cold bottles, I have been through the entire " We dont need no stinking beer gun" thread.

pickles said:
Are you using counter pressure method?

Tried it but like jkarp it wil foam as soon as you release pressure it will foam. I am fast enough for swing tops to get mostly full. Buy it still wastes a bunch of spicy goodness. I am lowering the carb level to try that. I am not really picky about carb levels so maybe next weekend I will try again.

Do you see any air leaking in at the connection of the cane and picnic tap? Wouldn't take much to create a lot of foaming.

i also recommend checking the connection of the racking cane. if the transition is not smooth between the tap and the can, CO2 will be stripped out of the solution, causing the foaming that you're experiencing.

Latest posts

Back