Local Pub - Brew On Tap Doesn't Taste Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
What exactly do you say to a local bar if they beer on tap tastes bad? This place is right up the street so we like to walk up there when it's nice out. Lately we haven't been going because the beer always tastes awful.

If I knew what the problem was I might make a suggestion. What can I say while still being polite?

They don't have a lot on tap but we usually get the Yuengling Black & Tan or Lager.

What causes the bad flavor? What should they be doing differently? The carbonation usually seems OK, it's just the flavor that's off.

Sounds like a cleaning and sanitation issue to me if this has gotten worse over time. If they are not properly cleaning and maintaining their equipment they might have some funky stuff growing in it.

Two things are common, dirty tap lines and stale/old beer. I'd bet the first one. Honestly, I don't usually say anything, just take my business elsewhere - it's not my job to educate someone on the fact that they should be cleaning their tap lines regularly. Alot of places don't even realize that and they never do it.

I'd agree dirty tap lines. There is no excuse for that since they change out kegs so frequently it doesn't take long to run some cleaner through the lines.

Yeah it must be dirty lines, I could see how Blue Moon might get stale but I've gotten some of their BCM on tap and it's got the same bad flavor.

Honestly, I don't usually say anything, just take my business elsewhere - it's not my job to educate someone on the fact that they should be cleaning their tap lines regularly.

Exactly. I wouldn't return to a place where I had to educate them how to cook the food either. This is not that different. I see this as a symptom of not doing things properly, and who knows how far this extends at this place.

Exactly. I wouldn't return to a place where I had to educate them how to cook the food either. This is not that different. I see this as a symptom of not doing things properly, and who knows how far this extends at this place.

It think "it depends". If you like the place and you want to come back, I'd mention it politely to the manager. If you prefer taking your business elsewhere, then I'd so so.

I have a favorite pub here in Columbia SC, and if things aren't quite right (other than the occasional mishap), I will definitely tell the manager. And since we're regulars, they DO listen to us.

MC

It is a very distinctive taste, it doesn't belong there. If I know the tap room is one I know cares, it will say something. Occasionally, the reaction is as if I've insulted them.

I once read an explanation of the fungus/bacteria that can grow/accumulate in a tap, but don't remember the term. Does anybody out there know the term?

There is a brew pub in my town that has often poured a foul beer. When you confront the bartender they ALWAYS taste it before dumping it (they know their product)and 99% of the time will agree that it must have sat to long in the line. they pull the tap wide open and then give you a fresh one after they sample it to make sure it is correct. Also 99% of the time that one is free for you troubles.

I would certainly tell the server and see what happens. If they gave me a bag of crap for my troubles I would not go back. Fortunately this has NEVER happened. ;)

If it's a rare thing then yes of course you should tell them and help them improve. However, if it's constant like you say then they dug their own grave. Survival of the fittest. If they're not cleaning their lines, what else are they skimping on?

If it's a rare thing then yes of course you should tell them and help them improve. However, if it's constant like you say then they dug their own grave. Survival of the fittest. If they're not cleaning their lines, what else are they skimping on?

I've had a few beers like this over the years...and I agree it's almost certainly dirty lines, and I agree with the post quoted above. The last part, in particular, is telling. The overall approach to their business is likely sloppy.

Considering the place the OP frequents isn't really a brew pub, but sells mostly BMC and other major brewers, and since its their corner walk to, I would probably mention it to the manager. They may be unaware of the need for regular line cleaning. Its worth a shot to keep the walk to pub on the list of go to pubs.

We have a bar here that has 50+ beers on tap, always great. I got 3 Floyd's Alpha King once and it tasted way sour and tart (I had it at 3 Floyds' brewpub the weekend prior so the taste was fresh on my mind). I notified the bartender, and she agreed with me after tasting. She told her boss, who kept assuring me there was nothing wrong and acted like I was stupid.

Is this a flavor that could happen from dirty lines?

I agree. Probably dirty beer line or sanitation problem. There was a local bar and grill that got caught filling their empty beer bottles with tap beer to stretch the dollar. It could be something like that. Back in the old west they used to pour any left over beer in the mugs into a barrel and serve it the next day. Not saying thats what they are doing but who knows. People do stupid things for a dollar.

Back