Speidel Plastic Tanks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cold crash in my 60L all the time. I use a spigot on the bottom and the top bung and during fermentation it acts as a blowoff, then when I cold crash I close it to avoid suck back. Going from mid 60s to 33f I've never had any issues.

Awesome...

And I have a 1.049 Blonde/Pale Ale in there right now. Brewed this morning, with rehydrated Notty pitched at 60F four hours ago.

I'm used to being able to watch for activity in my glass carboy, so that's going to take a little getting used to, especially since it's my first time using Notty!

What size hose does everyone use to siphon from the spigot? I got 1/2 inch but I'm worried it may be too big and oxygen will mix with the beer as it travels down the hose...

What size hose does everyone use to siphon from the spigot? I got 1/2 inch but I'm worried it may be too big and oxygen will mix with the beer as it travels down the hose...

I used to use 3/8, slips onto the orange part. Now I use 1/2, slips up past the orange part. Not quite as tight as the 3/8. Both work well.

I also use 3/8 silicone. I can drain my 30l Speidel in half the time it takes to rack from a carboy with auto-siphon.

I use 3/8 as well but I'm not in any hurry to drain from fermenter to keg. I usually go half throttle to keep some of the yeast cake from getting sucked out.

If you guys didn't know they also make chrome spigots for the Speidels which are much nicer than the plastic ones, and a 3/8" hose fits perfectly on them. I've updated all of mine with this option.

If you guys didn't know they also make chrome spigots for the Speidels which are much nicer than the plastic ones, and a 3/8" hose fits perfectly on them. I've updated all of mine with this option.

How much further does that spigot poke out? A 60l Speidel slips snuggly into a 5cuft chest freezer. And by snuggly I mean it's making skin to skin contact with the walls of the freezer on each side. I already have to angle the spigot so that it's pointing towards a corner so that it fits. If the chrome spigot pokes out further then it wouldn't work for me.

How much further does that spigot poke out? A 60l Speidel slips snuggly into a 5cuft chest freezer. And by snuggly I mean it's making skin to skin contact with the walls of the freezer on each side. I already have to angle the spigot so that it's pointing towards a corner so that it fits. If the chrome spigot pokes out further then it wouldn't work for me.

Didn't have a tape measure on me, but eyeballing it, it looks like it probably sticks out about 2" or so. Guess it wouldn't work for your particular situation, but they are definitely a step up from the plastic spigots.

Bottled my first Speidel-fermented beer two nights ago. The racking and cleaning process were so much easier than they were for glass carboys, and even just the ease of moving the Speidel around made the purchase incredibly worthwhile.

Tell you what though...the airlock stopper stinks something fierce. I'm going to do a nice, long soak before my next brewday to see if i can get rid of it!

I've searched through the thread and haven't found mention of anyone successfully using a mini refrigerator as a ferm chamber for a 30L. So...has anyone been successful in doing so, or are those folks using chambers with these generally using chest freezers?

I've searched through the thread and haven't found mention of anyone successfully using a mini refrigerator as a ferm chamber for a 30L. So...has anyone been successful in doing so, or are those folks using chambers with these generally using chest freezers?

I don't think it's possible. It's just too big for a mini fridge. It barely fits in my 7.1 cu ft chest freezer.

2013-03-06_16h41m33s.jpg

Oops! For some reason I read 60L instead of 30L. I don't have 30L, but based on the size of the 60L, I think you can get it in a mini fridge.

Oops! For some reason I read 60L instead of 30L. I don't have 30L, but based on the size of the 60L, I think you can get it in a mini fridge.

Thanks!

My main concern is the size of the airlock, but there are posts in this thread that show folks who have used the spigot with a blowoff in place of the airlock in order to reduce the profile a bit. That would probably work pretty well to keep it short enough, but these things are so fat that I wonder if it'd fit the width/depth of a mini fridge.

Thanks!

My main concern is the size of the airlock, but there are posts in this thread that show folks who have used the spigot with a blowoff in place of the airlock in order to reduce the profile a bit. That would probably work pretty well to keep it short enough, but these things are so fat that I wonder if it'd fit the width/depth of a mini fridge.

Ya I don't use the big airlock. If you look at my picture, you'll see I modified the top cap by drilling a 1/2 hole and then inserted a rubber grommet. You can then put a standard airlock in it, similar to a bucket top.

I see you're point regarding the width/depth. I don't think width will be a problem. Many people remove the door shelf of the mini fridge when making kegerators. That may help if depth is an issue.

Nice job gdawg with the gas adapter for your fermenter! I just had Bobby-M make me one for my tri clover set up for my fermenter. No worries about air or oxidation!

John

I have been transferring from fermenter to keg using co2 and it's worked very well. 5psi

That's awesome. I've gotta make something like that for my 60L's. Also looking at trying to make a racking arm as well using one of the caps with a dip tube.

I have been transferring from fermenter to keg using co2 and it's worked very well. 5psi

Can you provide a close up pic of the attachment at the spigot or are you just sliding the hose over the tip and leaving it at that?

Spigot hose I.D. and liquid post connection hose I.D. were different so there is a small section of hose from spigot to adapter/reducer.

spigot.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job gdawg with the gas adapter for your fermenter! I just had Bobby-M make me one for my tri clover set up for my fermenter. No worries about air or oxidation!

John

Wow. Just took a look at your brew rig. Very nice.

Hey would you mind posting the parts for the lid adapter? I'll definitely be doing this with my 30L speidel.

Back