Show me your Chiller bypass manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems the title didn't say it all.

Try using more words and assume everyone out there is as clueless about what you're thinking of as I am right now ;)

Cheers!

I'm wondering what others are doing to plumb in a plate chiller. Are people leaving it out of the loop till the end of boil, then adding it to the plumbing? Or is the common practice to have it connected but bypassed during boil.

I am also making a presumption that a pump is running during boil, and that may be my mistake.

Ok, that's way clearer ;)

The brewers I know with plate chillers don't have a second ball valve on their pump outputs for switching between recirculating vs filling fermenters.

They just drape the pump output hose in the kettle and recirculate for the last 5 to 10 minutes of the boil to sanitize the chiller and plumbing. At flame out they'll run the pump until the wort is chilled down to near pitching temperature, stop the pump, stick the output hose into the carboy and turn the pump back on.

Interestingly, none of them whirlpool the wort in the BK. Whatever was in the BK ends up in the carboy, break and all...

Cheers!

I don't bypass mine. In fact, I intentionally start running boiling wort through it about 15 minutes from the end of the boil to sanitize.

That said, I don't exactly follow day_trippr's procedure. I do heat sanitize, but only recirculate long enough to get the temp close on the chiller output (by adjusting one of the ball valves) I then run everything through on a single pass to the fermenter.

Back