DFH 60 min clone. Late extract add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to follow a recipe, your best bet is to do what the recipe designers suggest. Here, since Yooper doesn't mention a late extract addition, I would assume that she intends everything to go in at the beginning.

If you are designing your own recipes, you can start weighing the pluses and minuses of early vs. late additions. But I wouldn't recommend changing somebody else's recipe blindly without good reason.

Thanks, according to my brew bud I'm getting to ambitious. I'll brew the recipe this time and maybe try a late add next time I brew this recipe..

Cranny04 said:
Thanks, according to my brew bud I'm getting to ambitious. I'll brew the recipe this time and maybe try a late add next time I brew this recipe..

The really question is...what do you hope to accomplish with late addition?

Edit: I don't mean that to be snarky. Late addition has effects, but those effects are relatively subtle and it is important to understand what you're trying to do before you make changes. Good luck! :mug:

I made a dogfish head 90 min clone recently (which is essentially the same as the 60, just strong) and I did a late addition (it was a partial mash). I'm not sure I'd do it again though.

Here is what you have to be aware of:
- If your addition is DME and you do it at the end of your boil, you better have a whisk to help you get all that DME to dissolve. I did a 5lb DME addition after I stopped the boil and I almost didn't get all the DME to dissolve.
- If you do your extract addition late in the boil but before the end, it will likely stop your boil anywhere from 2-10 minutes depending on how much extract you added and how powerful your burner is. This could effect other aspects of your boil (eg hop utilization).
- They say late extract additions will produce a beer of a better flavor and lighter color. If you add your extract at the begininng of the boil, the extract will caramelize and produce a different flavor and darker color. This is the reason people prefer late additions.
- A late addition will change the gravity of your boil and so you will need to recalculate your hop utilization.

Finally, an accurate dogfish head IPA clone must use some amber malt in it to get the right flavor. (about 10% if I remember correctly). I'd use 90% pilsner (or pale) extract and 10% amber extract.

- They say late extract additions will produce a beer of a better flavor and lighter color.
I think most people would say different flavor, not better flavor.

If you add your extract at the begininng of the boil, the extract will caramelize and produce a different flavor and darker color. This is the reason people prefer late additions.
- A late addition will change the gravity of your boil and so you will need to recalculate your hop utilization.

Both of these are reasons that I'd suggest following the recipe. Except in the lightest pilsners, some degree of darkening is pretty much always desired. If you do a late addition when the recipe designer was not expecting it, you'll get less carmelization (actually, melanoidin production) than you should. Often, if a recipe calls for late addition, it will have more crystal malts (for example) to achieve a similar effect. Same goes for hops, though there is some thinking lately that the conventional wisdom about the relationship between gravity and hop utilization might be based on some false premises. If you're doing a late addition, you're going to get more hop bitterness than the recipe designer intended.

Finally, an accurate dogfish head IPA clone must use some amber malt in it to get the right flavor. (about 10% if I remember correctly). I'd use 90% pilsner (or pale) extract and 10% amber extract.

It's needlessly confusing that this is true, but amber malt is different than amber extract. Most amber extract is just 2-row plus crystal60. Amber malt, as far as I know, isn't made into extract by anyone.

I think it'd be great to add 1/2 the extract at the end of the boil! I think you'd get "brighter" hop flavor, lighter color, and a firmer bitterness. Do it!

Edit- and NO amber extract! Light DME only. The extract recipe uses crystal while the AG recipe does not, because amber malt doesn't come in extract. Amber malt is NOT amber extract so don't sub that!

I think most people would say different flavor, not better flavor.

Both of these are reasons that I'd suggest following the recipe. Except in the lightest pilsners, some degree of darkening is pretty much always desired. If you do a late addition when the recipe designer was not expecting it, you'll get less carmelization (actually, melanoidin production) than you should. Often, if a recipe calls for late addition, it will have more crystal malts (for example) to achieve a similar effect. Same goes for hops, though there is some thinking lately that the conventional wisdom about the relationship between gravity and hop utilization might be based on some false premises. If you're doing a late addition, you're going to get more hop bitterness than the recipe designer intended.

It's needlessly confusing that this is true, but amber malt is different than amber extract. Most amber extract is just 2-row plus crystal60. Amber malt, as far as I know, isn't made into extract by anyone.

Oops, I've never used amber extract so I didn't realize that. I don't think you can steep amber malt so I guess you can't use it in an extract recipe. I would try doing a partial mash (brew-in-a-bag is easiest) instead of the all extract version as I don't think the extract recipe will give you the flavor you want.

Hey all, I'm going to be attempting a DFH 60 min IPA clone for my third brew.

I'll be using this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/

I'm considering adding the extract at the end of the boil.

Any advice as to why I should or shouldn't do this?
Also if your in favor of the late add; how should I do it?

Thanks

I brewed this recipe and am currently drinking them. I used 9.9 lbs of extra light LME which came in (3) 3.3lb cans. I added 2 at the beginning and the last can at flameout. My goal was to make the color lighter since extract can be darker than usual. The color matched the DFH version spot on.

Im sure you already know this based on reading all the comments in that thread, but it is a damn good beer!

I brewed this recipe and am currently drinking them. I used 9.9 lbs of extra light LME which came in (3) 3.3lb cans. I added 2 at the beginning and the last can at flameout. My goal was to make the color lighter since extract can be darker than usual. The color matched the DFH version spot on.

Im sure you already know this based on reading all the comments in that thread, but it is a damn good beer!

I just bottled Yoopers 60 min recipe and it was much darker then I had expected. I also used 9.9 lbs of LME, next time I will do a late addition similar to yours.

It tasted awesome though!!! :ban:

I made that recipe about 6-8 months ago. I loved it! Didn't match exactly but was pretty damn close. I noticed it had a higher ABV than the original DFH 60 and mine turned out a little darker in color.

To the OP, I would recommend 1/2 the extract at 60 min and the other half close to the end of the boil.

Thanks for all the advice... I think I'll add half at the start an half at the end.. Or two thirds and one third depending on the size LME available...

Also I see in this recipe that you add the hops continuously...

How does that affect the finished beer?

The DFH people claim that it leads to a smoother hop bitterness. I'm not sure I completely buy it based on my understanding of the chemistry involved, but I do quite like the beer so I won't argue.

I think it's just a marketing gimmick.

When I made the 90 min clone, I divided the hops up into 45 cups and tossed in a cup every 2 minutes. I'm pretty sure the same thing could have been accomplished with far fewer hop additions, maybe as few as 4, at the beginning, middle, and end.

If it is a gimmic it's a pretty sweet one.. They even named the machine sir hops a lot

All I know is it was fun to brew. Theres no standing around thats for sure! I just held a big bowl of hops the whole time and tossed one in every few seconds. I even backed up and worked on my jump shot!

All I know is it was fun to brew. Theres no standing around thats for sure! I just held a big bowl of hops the whole time and tossed one in every few seconds. I even backed up and worked on my jump shot!

Now that's awesome!

Also it gives you an excuse to make bad jokes like...

I continually hopped for 60 minutes and boy are my legs tired!

Hey all,
I picked up the ingredients today from lhbs...

I plan on brewing this on Sunday. I just realized that I got 3 cans of amber malt extract instead of pale...

If I use these what will be the result?

I live 40 minutes from the lhbs... Trying to save the trip

Can I use these or just suck it up and make the drive?

Hey all,
I picked up the ingredients today from lhbs...

I plan on brewing this on Sunday. I just realized that I got 3 cans of amber malt extract instead of pale...

If I use these what will be the result?

I live 40 minutes from the lhbs... Trying to save the trip

Can I use these or just suck it up and make the drive?

Amber extract has crystal malt in it, and is darker. It will totally change the recipe.

Darn, that's what I thought you would say... Guess I have to male another quest to the store..

Any recipe suggestions for the amber lme?

i didn't do a late addition and it came out much darker and sweeter than expected. has great hop aroma from the dry hopping but its def missing the bitterness. Hopefully moving to partial mash on my next batch will alleviate some of those issues.

Back