Apfelwein Volcano!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
Warning: Adding corn sugar to the fermentor a day after pitching can result in a big mess.

I started a batch of Ed's famous apfelwein yesterday. I shook the hell out of some apple juice and pitched Montrachet yeast. Today I picked up the 2 lbs of corn sugar I forgot to buy before I started the batch. I put my funnel on top of the carboy and started pouring. About a quarter of a pound in, the cider started bubbling and then erupted out the top like a baking soda/vinegar volcano. I couldn't do anything to stop it so I just kinda stared in awe and waited for it to die down.

Sounds like you added a bunch of nucleation points. i wouldn't have thought of this either, but you might be better off next time boiling the sugar in a little bit of water. Will also help the sugar to dissolve.

Haha, sounds like a disaster of a mess. Might not be a bad idea to add a small amount of sugar in with nutrient additions to meads? Kickstart that yeast!!

It was a mess. At least the carpet is brown.

I didn't have a problem with the sugar not dissolving. After the volcano, I added the rest a little at a time to keep it under control. I expected a little sugar to be on the bottom. I figured the yeast would eventually find it and have a feast. I didn't seen any though. It may just have been too cloudy to see any. Either way, I think it will work out.

Back