Hop Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastieBoys

Reaction score
I had some hop soda from a company in Grand Rapids called Proper Soda. It was pretty good. They use Cascade oil. I've decided to tinker around with making some myself.
Here's what I'm going to try:
1 gallon distiller water
Take 1/2 the water and dissolve 1 1/2 cups of organic cane sugar.
Add remaining distiller water.
Bring temp down to 75-80 degrees.
Add champagne yeast.
Poor water/sugar/yeast mixture into bottles.
Make sure to poor one in a plastic bottle to determine carbonation. Should take 2-4 days (from my experience).

Now, here's the experimental part. I have three different hop oils-Amarillo, cascade, and Citra. I'm going to play around and add 6-10 drops per 12 oz bottle. Some I will add organic lemon juice to.

I will let you know how things turn out.

Had some Hopade from the new South Bend brewpub, Crooked Ewe, the other day and I loved it. Basically it was just lemonade with hops and carbonation, I loved the taste and the aroma. So I tried recreating it when I got home.
Started out by steeping some 3 leaves of centennial hops in a cup of water for 15 minutes then I added some lemonade mix and strained it over ice. That was too bitter and had no aroma so I experimented with Cascade hops instead, followed the same recipe otherwise. Flavor was close but had no aroma, so I made one last cup and dry hopped it with 2 leaves of cascade for a couple of days, tried it last night and it's still light on the aroma but it's getting closer.
I'm planning on making a 3 gallon batch with a bigger dose of hops in the dry hop here soon. I'll probably use some real lemon juice this go around and throw it into a keg to force carb.

I bought a ball lock attachment to my co2 system to carbonate. I forgot the name of it. It works so-so. The flavor was alright. I recommend using the hop oils. Hop My Beer sells the hop oils for $5 a piece. They are 10 ml vials, but yet have a lot of different types of hops.
I am going to add some fresh squeezed lemon juice to the pop. It's missing something.

Back