Check your Brewhaulers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher79

Reaction score
I bought two brew haulers to carry my glass carboys from the garage to the fermentation room. Great idea right? What a way to to go right? No broken carboys, no glass shards in my flesh, no worries! WRONG! I had a strap break on one of my brew haulers and commented on it in this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brew-hauler-fail-365784/

However, I didn't count on my second brew hauler breaking as I was hauling a 6 gallon carboy full of $70 worth of ingreidents (partial mash) for an Imperial Oatmeal Stout! Luckily, I was not hurt, but cleaning 5+ gallons of wort and yeast of off the floor was not a fun task. I know some of you do not agree on using glass carboys, and this this thread isn't intended to start a debate or seek advice on plastic carboys. I just want people to heed the maunfacturing defects in these produts, and if you have them, check your seams to ensure you don't have a mishap like me. I will be writing the maker of these, and transistioning over to milk crates ASAP!

image.jpg

That sucks. I have moved away from them just because I feel a milk crate or file basket (from an office supply store) is easier to carry and gives me more control. I have used better bottles for a couple years now as well as the risk of broken glass is just not worth it IMO. I used to carry 6 gal glass carboys up and down stairs, but we all were more reckless when we were younger right? Sorry to hear of the mess, but I am glad you weren't hurt. Cheers !

+1. I own that certificate, as well. My 2nd batch rolled out of my hauler. I found myself covered in 5 gallons of wort and picked shards of glass out of my feet and shins for a week. Not a happy camper. :smack:

I had to pull up the carpet and throw it away as well. That was the most expensive beer I have never drank!!!

Glad you escaped without injury. I have heard some horror stories about broken glass carboys.

I know some of us use glass because that is what comes in the "starter" kits. Not sure why they dont stock those kits with better bottles. Ugh. Guess I need to inspect my hauler. I rarely use my glass carboy though, Im at about 95% single vessel fermentation (bucket).

Every time I order something off midwest I look at those thinking should I add them to my cart or not. Thanks for the info man. Now I know not too. Glad your okay.

+1. I own that certificate, as well. My 2nd batch rolled out of my hauler. I found myself covered in 5 gallons of wort and picked shards of glass out of my feet and shins for a week. Not a happy camper. :smack:

I had to pull up the carpet and throw it away as well. That was the most expensive beer I have never drank!!!

Glad you escaped without injury. I have heard some horror stories about broken glass carboys.

Thanks all! I'm glad the only thing injured was my pride...luckily we have hardwood floors, so all I had to do was utilize every towel we own to contain the mess.

I don't see why the guy that makes these doesn't reinforce the strap threading and/or double check the quality of the product before it gets on the shelf. This was the second time using this hauler and this thread should not have come undone. I've already emailed the company and let them know what happened... I'll keep you guys posted if I get a response from them.

Milk crates are definitely what I will be using from now on. :drunk:

Glad you're okay.. I've been using milk crates with my glass carboys. I try to use better bottles first, but gotta ferment what I can so the glass will get used as well!

I'm worried when I handle them empty! Never used a brew hauler or carboy handle. I keep mine in a round plastic tub. Hopefully a thread will not pop up about my plastic tubs! Glad nobody was injured.

Only problem I had with the BrewHauler is it growing mold when left in the fermentation cooler after a blow off.

I would say sorry for your loss, but this is a great chance for you to upgrade to latest in brewing technology. BetterBottles for the win.:mug:

glad you were not huirt. I've always used milk crates because I'm too cheap to purchase something else. I got the creates a long time ago, and when I got into brewing it was a natural to repurpose them for my carboys.

Wow that is nuts. Glad you didn't get hurt.

My starter kit came with plastic buckets. I was going to get a glass carboy with the neck handle until I read people on here saying the neck can break with those. Then I was looking at those haulers. I'm glad I bought extra buckets instead of that glass carboy after reading some of the posts in this thread.

Milk crates seem like a great idea...though you might want to check those too because the plastic can get weak over time. Milk companies use those thousand of times and I have seen some break with just the weight of milk in them.

People with carboys should go get one of those baby holders. The ones you strap your baby to your back like a backpack lol Those should be perfect. If one of those breaks with a carboy in it, I hope someone notifies the company because a lot of parents are going to be pissed lol

Would a furniture dolly work ? I was in Home Depot and I saw one for less than $20. It would seem to be more flexible too since it would transport more than just a carboy

Why do people still use glass? No offense man, I just don't see any positives and plenty of negatives.

Really? We're going to do this AGAIN?

There's only two negatives I can think of.

1) They're heavier.
2) They're made of glass that can break and hurt you.

Positives:

1) They'll theoretically last a heck of a lot longer than plastic.
2) You can scrub them with brushes.
3) They're impervious to infections.
4) They come in bigger sizes than plastic ones.
5) The bottoms don't buckle when you move them and disturb the trub.

I just cut the #%*! out of my right hand last week on a glass carboy. As I have stated before. "Some of the best lessons we learn are self taught". Lesson learned. Better bottle via amazon is on it's way. I just like watching the show. I don't like the haulers either.

Positives:

Your Positives are a joke. I scrub my Better Bottles with brushes and no infections here.

Now back to driving my pre-1963 car with no seat belts to my house with asbestos insulation and lead paint.

I know some of us use glass because that is what comes in the "starter" kits. Not sure why they dont stock those kits with better bottles. Ugh. Guess I need to inspect my hauler. I rarely use my glass carboy though, Im at about 95% single vessel fermentation (bucket).

They do. Normally it's an option when ordering online.

There's only two negatives I can think of.

1) They're heavier.
2) They're made of glass that can break and hurt you.

Positives:

"Theoretically" speaking, my arteries are far more important than my beer. Even if any of your above listed reasons were true, I'd still prefer plastic over death. Did we forget that a poster on this site actually lost his brother to a carboy accident? That's a little too real for me.

I have a brand new brew hauler that I haven't used yet. Now I am hesitant to use it.

Your Positives are a joke. I scrub my Better Bottles with brushes and no infections here.

Now back to driving my pre-1963 car with no seat belts to my house with asbestos insulation and lead paint.

That's nice. Anecdotes are not data.

People drive motorcycles, even though there's a good chance that you'll be dead if you get into an accident. I suppose next we'll start talking about how everyone should drive cars.

Even if any of your above listed reasons were true, I'd still prefer plastic over death. Did we forget that a poster on this site actually lost his brother to a carboy accident? That's a little too real for me.

That's your choice. And that's fine.

richfei said:
Would a furniture dolly work ? I was in Home Depot and I saw one for less than $20. It would seem to be more flexible too since it would transport more than just a carboy

Just saw pictures of a group brew where a guy was using a flat furniture dolly. My immediate reaction was "duh - why don't I do that." lugging full 10 gal buckets up stairs is getting old about as fast as I am. Harbor freight has them at reasonable prices.

I'm glad I didn't opt for the brew hauler. Those things scare me about as much as the carboy neckers do. I'm a "one hand on the bottom and one hand on the neck" kind of guy. Works for all sorts of situations.

Why do people still use glass? No offense man, I just don't see any positives and plenty of negatives.

Better bottles are awesome. But there are plenty of positives to glass. It's clearer (not huge) can't scratch, and will not show signs of wear and tear. There's also no fear of potential oxygen permeation.

That said I prefer better bottles, but I got a glass carboy with my starter kit so I'll use that until I can't (aka it breaks) but I'll purchase BB because primarily it's cheaper. But I know several people who swear by glass and will never change. And I admit that the only concerns I have with BB is scratching (which then makes it worthless) and that because it's plastic it's not as rigid so you have to be more careful picking it up or you could have airlock material falling into your carboy.

As far as I'm concerned, fermenting ought to be done in stainless steel, or glass if you can't afford ss. Plastic is a nasty thing. Not only is it naturally toxic until controlled and washed, it is porous. Even the precious HPDE is porous; it captures all kinds of tastes including whatever is in the air. You can never get rid of a smell completely from the plastic.

Glass doesn't have that problem. Simple. Yes, glass breaks.

Thanks to the OP for the message. Those cheap nylon straps are way over priced anyway.

I prefer glass over plastic, you just have to be more careful when you transfer them.. that's why I build rope hauler for my carboys:

311.jpg
301.jpg

I put mine on a dolly and wrap with a strap. At the worst, it jostles a little, but no more than it would carrying it.

I prefer glass over plastic, you just have to be more careful when you transfer them.. that's why I build rope hauler for my carboys:

311.jpg
301.jpg
Thanks for sharing! It is nice to come across a gem like this as I'm browsing the forum this morning. Any tricks for making this?

And you have yours. We're only "doing this" because of what you said in your first response. If one doesn't want to see opposite opinions, their only option is not to post. "Don't write this" disclaimers don't work unless written by a mod.

:off:
that is all

OP, Thanks for the warning, I always wondered how effective those were.

$70 of ingredients in a 5-5.5 gallon batch?

You say partial mash, so assuming about 3# of grain (conservative) at $2/lb = $6
Yeast = $10 (high estimate)
Hops: Lets go with 4oz at $2/oz = $8

That leaves $46 in extract? Looks like over 10lbs of extract? Man! Glad you reminded me of why I switched to all-grain.

Regarding the actual topic though.....I have one of those and I have never actually used it because I don't trust it. I'd rather trust my dry hands. One under the bottom and one around the neck (Hmmmmm, kinda reminded me of something)

I can't believe it broke a strap. I've got one that goes unused (along with the glass carboys I kept "just because") because I decided a bucket was a hell of a lot easier to clean, sterilize and carry. It's ugly and not as cool but I don't rack to secondary anymore either.

What size was the carboy?

Back