No Chill brewing directly into a Conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Has anyone done a no chill brew and gone directly into a conical with the hot wort? Ive got a 14 gallon Ferminator and I would prefer not to screw it up if at all possible :) Let me know please!!

Sure, it is totally doable. Just try to get the hot wort in without splashing too much to avoid hot side aeration, but otherwise, yep.

Sure, it is totally doable. Just try to get the hot wort in without splashing too much to avoid hot side aeration, but otherwise, yep.

K cool. I just saw what it did to my US plastics container so I got worried with the cooling effects

I did it drunk once straight into a carboy.

I was EXTREMELY lucky I didnt shatter the carboy and cause massive damage to other drunks around.

You should be fine as long as you avoid splashing to avoid hot side aeration.

Has anyone done a no chill brew and gone directly into a conical with the hot wort? Ive got a 14 gallon Ferminator and I would prefer not to screw it up if at all possible :) Let me know please!!

I just did a no chill last night into my conical. I used the keggle port and tubing to fill from the bottom up. This morning it is still 100°. I don't know how long it will take to chill to pitching temp but I'm starting to get worried. I'll let you know.

I do no chill brewing. I simply pop the sanitized top on the kettle at flameount and move it to the basement. depending upon ambient temps it will take from 18 to 24 hours to drop to room temp. Don't worry about it. Use the time you've saved to do something fun.

I do no chill brewing. I simply pop the sanitized top on the kettle at flameount and move it to the basement. depending upon ambient temps it will take from 18 to 24 hours to drop to room temp. Don't worry about it. Use the time you've saved to do something fun.

This way seems much easier to no chill than the transfer scalding wort to US plastics container way. Do you still adjust your hop schedule like traditional no chill?

allagash isn't worried about it....check out 5:20
I was going to suggest looking under your bed for other boogie men, but this works too :p

I just did a no chill last night into my conical. I used the keggle port and tubing to fill from the bottom up. This morning it is still 100°. I don't know how long it will take to chill to pitching temp but I'm starting to get worried. I'll let you know.
I wouldn't worry about this time frame. The boiling wort sanitized the conical.

This way seems much easier to no chill than the transfer scalding wort to US plastics container way. Do you still adjust your hop schedule like traditional no chill?

Yes. But I am beginning to question the validity of the '20 minute' rule as I do more no-chills. (I'm up to around 25 batches using the 'cool in the kettle' method.

Conical was cool to the touch 24 hours later. My conical has a clear polycarbonate lid so I could see in and there is no visible sign of contamination. I pitched a 1L starter and oxygenated with pure O2. Hopefully a successful first "no chill" brew.

Thanks for all the advise.

That is another thing I wonder about with no chill brewing. I understand the benefits of O2 in traditional brewing -- The quickly cooled wort is depleted in oxygen and needs to be oxygenated to support health fermentation.

BUT- If you no chill in the kettle or a conical which is not air-tight, does the wort absorb oxygen over the 24 hour time period so that perhaps only minimal effort is needed to re-oxygenate the wort?

It is kind of a meaningless question becuase I do make an effort to oxygenate the wort prior to pitching, but I wonder how many ppm O2 naturally diffuse into the wort over the 18 to 24 hour cooling time.

Back