Main power wire gauge for 50A panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and can't see to find a consistent answer for this. What size wire should I use to go from a 50A breaker in my main panel to a 50A spa panel with GFCI to my control panel? I feel like I've seen both 6 and 8 gauge copper THHN recommended. Also, is conduit needed or can the wire just be run through the wall?

I know there are a lot of other things that factor into this so here are some details...

Spa panel will be within a few feet of my main panel in my garage, which is drywalled.
Probably go with a 12-15' power cable to run from spa panel to control panel.
Including option to run 2 elements at the same time so will be pulling 45+ amps occasionally.

I'm going to have someone install the breaker and spa panel but wanted to be able to tell them exactly what I need and why. It's a friend of a friend of a friend type thing so I'd rather be able to have everything ready for them to just install it.

#6 is the way to go. For such a short run, why go with 8? You may save a few dollars but will not technically be "NEC legal". I'd use 6 then when you add a few amps in the future you will not have to worry.

Edit: conduit depends on the application and your local codes. My brewery feed is in conduit but is not required to be...I'm sure that doesn't help you:)

Thanks Ischiavo! Are you recommending using #6 for both the short run to the spa panel and also for the 12-15' main power cord?

The main reason I'm asking about all of this is safety/code...the other reason is that I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to distribute the power inside my panel. I want my terminal blocks or din blocks to be able to handle the incoming wire size.

Thanks Ischiavo! Are you recommending using #6 for both the short run to the spa panel and also for the 12-15' main power cord?

The main reason I'm asking about all of this is safety/code...the other reason is that I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to distribute the power inside my panel. I want my terminal blocks or din blocks to be able to handle the incoming wire size.

Yes, I would use 6 between the breaker and the terminal block in your control panel.

I really like these blocks and have used them in several panels:

http://www.elecdirect.com/product/66f4bb74-feb3-4845-849a-c897ea6ffdbd.aspx

You can run your 6 in and tap off to your fusing. They work nice. I usually put in four for the hots, neutral and ground.

I have 6 running from my panel to the spa to the control panel. Into DINs. The DINs I used can handle the 6# upto 22#. Quick and easy.

That is a huge "depends":

http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

Depends on the wire rating and conductor rating.

Take a look at the chart.!

Of course there's a lot more to it. You need to consider ambient temp, raceway (conduit or open air), number of conductors ampacity derating percentages and insulation type. I was just making it easier for him. I know what I do for a living.

I know what I do for a living.
Understood. No problem - However - I took exception to the blanket statement that was made. There is one hell of a lot more to it than that.

It's like the other issue that I have a hard time ignoring. The "percentage rule" for the power draw on a electrical outlet circuit. There is more to it than most "electricians" seem to realize.

Another thing... Never mind - it no longer matters.

Understood. No problem - However - I took exception to the blanket statement that was made. There is one hell of a lot more to it than that.

It's like the other issue that I have a hard time ignoring. The "percentage rule" for the power draw on a electrical outlet circuit. There is more to it than most "electricians" seem to realize.

Another thing... Never mind - it no longer matters.

no worries here. I was just trying to keep it simple and help. 6 awg is what I would run if it was in my house.

hatrickwah said:
I have 6 running from my panel to the spa to the control panel. Into DINs. The DINs I used can handle the 6# upto 22#. Quick and easy.

I really like DIN components. They take a lot of work out of mounting things. How did you handle tapping after that block?

lschiavo said:
Yeah, like say you need to connect 2 10's and 2 14's to the incoming 6.

I ran 6# to the din, added enough din blocks to break 3 out of one 6# in and 2 from the other hot. Ran 6# from each to din breakers 2 25a 2 pole and 1 16a 1 pole. From the breakers the wires break down to 10 and 14. Works great. I brought the common 6# straight to the common block and stuck a number of terminal blocks together to create a block with 14, 10, and the single 6 wire. I like breakers, they're easier to install than the fuses, and when they trip, you can reset them easily and therefore protect my hardware.

hatrickwah said:
I ran 6# to the din, added enough din blocks to break 3 out of one 6# in and 2 from the other hot. Ran 6# from each to din breakers 2 25a 2 pole and 1 16a 1 pole. From the breakers the wires break down to 10 and 14. Works great. I brought the common 6# straight to the common block and stuck a number of terminal blocks together to create a block with 14, 10, and the single 6 wire. I like breakers, they're easier to install than the fuses, and when they trip, you can reset them easily and therefore protect my hardware.

I see. I have opted for the terminals I linked above mainly for cost. There are so many parts available for a DIN setup that I usually just give in to simplicity. Plus the cost seems to add up quickly. I would like to use some breakers next time around though. Where do you source your parts?

Since we're on the topic. I just pulled my permit to wire up the garage. I'm going to use a 30 amp line, however, I'd like to have the option of 50 in the future. Will I get anything other than funny looks from the inspector if I run 6 gauge instead of 10 gauge?

Details: It's a straight shot 30 foot run from my main panel to a 4 prong dryer outlet. It'll be in the wall (need to cut out the sheetrock, then put it back). I'll use a 30a gfci breaker in the panel.

lschiavo said:
I see. I have opted for the terminals I linked above mainly for cost. There are so many parts available for a DIN setup that I usually just give in to simplicity. Plus the cost seems to add up quickly. I would like to use some breakers next time around though. Where do you source your parts?

I got all of my DIN rail parts from Mouser. They seemed to have the best pricing. The only annoyance was that I had to order DIN rail in a 6' segment, which is both overkill and a hassle to ship. I downloaded a PDF catalog from one of the vendors to make it easier to figure out the right combinations of blocks, dividers, jumpers, etc. I'll see if I saved it.

bolts said:
Since we're on the topic. I just pulled my permit to wire up the garage. I'm going to use a 30 amp line, however, I'd like to have the option of 50 in the future. Will I get anything other than funny looks from the inspector if I run 6 gauge instead of 10 gauge?

Should be OK. I don't believe the code says anything about upsizing by a few gauges.

Latest posts

Back