Order of tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
I am going to have my family taste my first 5 home brews today before our early Thanksgiving dinner. The brews are: IPA, Imperial IPA, Hefenweizen, Porter and a Spicy Holiday Ale. Any thoughts or suggestions to make this more fun that it is already going to be. What order should they taste them in? I was going to have them rank their favorite to least favorite and write comments that I can put in my notes. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

I like that progression that you have them listed in! The imperial IPA will be nice right after the regular IPA to show the difference. The hefeweizen is great and the porter is more of a holiday beer to me anyway, with the roasted flavors. And to finish it off in lieu of the holidays, your spiced ale! Sounds delicious!!

Hefe
Porter
IPA
Spice
Imp IPA

Last two could be swapped though.
IPAs depending on IBU will kill your taste buds for lighter flavored beers.

I agree with Night, or put the spice before the IPA. Definitely do not follow the other suggestion... IPAs will fry the palette before tasting the hefe and porter.

Edit: when doing tastings, the idea is to scale up the body, flavor and aggressiveness of each beer so you don't overwhelm the tastebuds.

I don't know much about the spiced holiday ale, but I'd probably go
hef (lightest), holiday, porter, IPA, IIPA. The best way is to move from lightest to strongest (in regards to your palate, not the color/alcohol of the beer).

The holiday is the tough one. It depends on the strength of flavor and alcohol in that one. If it's fairly lightly spiced and moderate ABV, I'd put it after the Hefe (as daksin said). If it's strongly spiced and high ABV, I'd put it last. If it's somewhere in the middle, I'd put it just before the IIPA.

If you're pairing these with food, there might be other concerns, too. The spiced beer might go well with pumpkin pie depending on its flavor.

Back