Can yeast give your wine a funky smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic_35057

its good to be back!
Reaction score
I have two 1 gallong jugs of apricot wine working. Started on Jan. 10, '07.

Recipe:

2 1/2 lbs of apricots
2 lbs. sugar
1 campden tablet
1/4 tsp. tannin
1 1/2 tsp. acid blend
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 pkt champagne yeast

I used my juicer on the apricots and then poured the liquid into the gallon jug. I dissolved the sugar with the water and then after it cooled I poured it into the gallon jug with the apricot juice. All the other ingredients were added according to the recipe. I decided to rack off the liquid from the must today and when I took off the cap and airlock and smelled of it, it had a very bad odor. :eek: I went ahead and racked it off and added 12 oz. of apple concentrate along with 12 oz. water back into the jug which filled it up nicely. I also decided to add a half pack of dissolved montrachet yeast back into the jug to work on the additional apple juice. (not sure that was a good thing to do but oh well) I noticed the smell coming from the yeast was the same smell coming from the jug earlier. Is this normal? I realize that the wine has several months to go before it is ready but will this odor go away or is this batch bad?
Any input would greatly be appreciated. Also if you have any questions I will try to answer them for you.

Latest posts

Back