The "Using Cereal Grain Adjuncts" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Can we get a thread devoted solely to the use of cereal grains as adjuncts. By this I mean we talk about how to use certain cereal grains - oats, rice, corn, etc., but we talk not only about techniques, but also recipes, etc.

The only cereal grain I have used is oats. I used the Quaker Old Fashioned Oats . . . which, I believe, is the same thing as flaked oats. I put about a pound of them into my mash when I make my oatmeal stout.

Here are some questions/thoughts to get us started.

What are the best techniques for using certain cereal adjuncts - mashing, gelatinizing, decocting, etc. ???

What styles call for each cereal adjunct? Oats for Stouts, Corn for Cream Ales, etc.

How pleased/dissatisfied have you been using this stuff?

The easiest way to use rice in all grain mashes is to use Minute Rice.

No milling....no precooking....just put in mash when you dough in.

I use minute rice in my light american lagers. Gravity potential is around 1.035 pppg.

Jeff Meyers said:
I use minute rice in my light american lagers. Gravity potential is around 1.035 pppg.

Would you mind posting a recipe to give some idea about how much Minute Rice you put into a 5 gallon beer. I am not sure how to use that 1.035pppg to figure out how it would affect the gravity of my wort. Does promash have #s for stuff like this?

I am getting ready to make my first oatmeal stout and have a couple of questions.
Are Quaker oats and flaked oats the same or should I get the flaked oats from my LHBS? Finally do I need to do any preparation to the oats or just add them to the mash?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Darrell

BBboomer said:
I am getting ready to make my first oatmeal stout and have a couple of questions.
Are Quaker oats and flaked oats the same or should I get the flaked oats from my LHBS? Finally do I need to do any preparation to the oats or just add them to the mash?
Thanks for any help/suggestions.
Darrell

I think that they are the same thing, although you should get the Old Fashioned Oats rather than the quick oats, IMO. I don't do anything to prepare them, I just mash them in.

Latest posts

Back