Gain in ABV using Fermaid-K?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
Is it possible that I gained a percentage point in ABV by using Fermaid-K?
I brewed an extract Amber Ale.
8lbs light extract
1lb crystal 60
6oz special b
The original recipe only called for the crystal malt, no special b with an Estimated Original Gravity:1.051-54, but I added the special b for some added flavor.
I added the Fermaid-K 4 days into fermentation @ 64F with a gravity of 1.030
The original Estimated Alcohol Percentage: 5%
It's now been 7 days.
What I have is a SG of 1.060 and a FG of 1.014
My calculations say it's at almost 6.25
Does that sound possible?

I brewed an extract Amber Ale.
8lbs light extract
1lb crystal 60

6oz special b
The original recipe only called for the crystal malt, no special b with an Estimated Original Gravity:1.051-54, but I added the special b for some added flavor.

Something is wrong there. 8lbs of (liquid?) extract and a pound of crystal is going to have a higher OG than your estimate of 1.051-1.054.

I am getting an estimate OF of something between 1.061 and 1.064 depending on the brand of extract used.

Doesn't really matter.

If it's liquid extract, 8 lbs + 1 lb crystal will make something between 1.061 and 1.064 OG.

If it's dry extract, it will make something closer to 1.080.

I'm quoting what the recipe sheet says. I never tried to calculate the gravity myself. I assumed that that is what it was supposed to be according to the what the recipe states.
Maybe an error or typo on morebeer's part?
I also steeped my grains.
Oh yeah it was liquid.

Probably. Either the OG is listed incorrectly, or the amount of extract actually used in the recipe is a mis-print.

Was it liquid or dry? How was it packaged?

well... if you measured something in the 1.060 range, then I can assure you it was not from the addition of 6oz of special B. I think their quoted OG was off by 0.010

Back