Poor Man's Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very interested --- kinda seems like a no brainer starting point for a new person wanting to expand and get serious.

pssst: my local Costco has one MUCH beefier for $164. It's the same thing they use to stack pallets to the ceiling with. Check your local Costco first.

That's not necessarily a poor man's brew stand. What I have is more or less a REAL poor man's brewstand. I use 55 gallon barrels with burners placed on top. At 7.50 a barrel, how could I not afford to make a brew stand.

I probably should have tried to find it cheaper, but I just ordered one. I'll post a report when I get it. I was thinking of building a sculpture, but this will give me a great hands-on start so I can figure what I really need in a build. Now I just need a plate chiller and a pump, but those can wait. I have two Penrose kettles ( BK & HLT) and a sanke MT. Looks like I'm in business for some 10gal AG brews!! :whoot:

Well in further search after posting, I was led back to a 2009 post on this site which said DON'T BUY IT!!!! I still would like to take a look at it though.

I would be concerned over the lower BTU ratings of those burners, for our applications. It might do ok for ~5 gallon batches, but I suspect it will take longer to get up to a boil than one of the stand-alone burners.

IMO, you'd be better off getting a solid single burner, and make a platform for it. Even if that's just a table you cover with tile, a cement patio block, or one of the thin BBQ/grill pads you can easily locate.

Thanks for the links! Gotta say, nothing definite on why not to buy it, though. Guess I'll have to take one for the team...

So I guess I should post an update... I have to say, it's better than I expected. I've used it for 3 brew sessions now and it has done well. Direct fire keg MT on the upper, lower BTU burner ; lower jet burner for HLT then BK. I do have a March pump, which helps. I have to say, for ME, it was worth the $160 to keep brewing while I design a brew stand/sculpture...

Back