bad recipe idea , how can I fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veng

Reaction score
OK,
I was listening to a podcast featuring BIG Dog from Scotland.
These guys made a 200 yo IPA recipe and actually recreated
the trip to India in casks on a modern ship.
Anyway, they gave a recipe for an off the chart IPA
in kiloliters and I used the SWAG (scientific wild assed guess)
to convert it. To top off this snowballing madness,
I substituted 1/2 gallon of honey to save money on the grain bill
and keep my chief financial officer (wife ) happier

1/2 gallon honey
1 # domestic 2 row
4 #'s Merris Otter
1# Red Wheat
.5 chocolate malt
1.5 # L30 Crystal malt
2 oz Columbus 4 additions
2 oz Centeniel 4 additions
white labs American Ale

My flimsy plastic hydrometer tube died so I have no Gravities. (really dislike those)
The batch fermented actively for four days and has a not so nice cloying sweetness.

My first thought is to brew a high gravity batch on top of this
or maybe split it between two milder batches?
Any constructive advice would be sincerely appreciated!!
Thanks
:drunk:

If you don't like taking gravity readings, then I'd be happy to tell you what's going on with your beer.

Let me find my dart board...

:D

If you don't like taking gravity readings, then I'd be happy to tell you what's going on with your beer.

Let me find my dart board...

:D

He didn't say ANYTHING about not liking taking grav readings. Sheesh...

He didn't say ANYTHING about not liking taking grav readings. Sheesh...

Except the part where he said he really dislikes gravity readings. Sheesh... let a guy be a smartass now and then. ;)

Seriously, without taking gravity readings on this, you're not going to know what it's doing. Anything else is just a guess... hence the dartboard metaphor.

not TAKING GRAVITY READINGS , I dislike those flimsy specific gravity reading tubes

Ahhh okiedoke. If I were you I'd get a new one (sturdier one probably) and check where you're at. That's a good amount of sugar to chew though that it could just be stalled out. With all that honey I'd think it would finish out pretty dry, assuming the yeast was able to attenuate that much sugar.

I don't have brewsmith on this computer or I'd punch it in and see what the expected OG and FG would be, but it just looks like a lot of sugar to me at a glance.

LOL I read that as not liking gravity readings too. Next time buy 2 tubes and it will ensure that you never break another one again. ;)

Cast iron! No wait... that's not transparent... Cast iron and x-ray specs! That'll do it!

This is actually a switch, usually it's the hydrometer and not the sample container that always breaks.

I use something like this. It holds about 8oz of liquid , which is how much I sample each time.

phpThumb.php

Hydrometer Jar (11.5'') | MoreBeer

Back