Substituting Northern Brewer with Centennial...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Alphas are on par. Northern Brewer was 8.5, and the Centennial is 9.1. It's the 30 minute hop addition in a Russian Imperial Stout. I HATE to do it, but for some reason, I can't for the life of me find the Northern Brewer. I'm thinking that my friggin imaginary friend ate them(that would be the 2 kids:( ). I think I'll be alright. What do you think?

there's a huge difference between those hops.

centennial is going to be citrusy and floral

northern brewer is spicy...and "woody" i guess you could describe it.

it will completely change the beer to change out those flavor hops.

what hops do you have available? what is your recipe?

let's look at all your options...you may do well just to skip the flavor addition...

Go with it, and relax you'll be fine. I use a combo Centennial and NB for the middle addition of my Imp Stout, and it tastes just fine.

Heck I just checked the hop schedule of my Imp Stout and it has Centennial and Cascade in the late additions.

The Alphas are on par. Northern Brewer was 8.5, and the Centennial is 9.1. It's the 30 minute hop addition in a Russian Imperial Stout. I HATE to do it, but for some reason, I can't for the life of me find the Northern Brewer. I'm thinking that my friggin imaginary friend ate them(that would be the 2 kids:( ). I think I'll be alright. What do you think?

Boy, I'd sure think real hard about going with Fuggles/Willamette or Yak Goldings. You'll need half again as much but they won't change the flavor like Centennials will. Centennials rule and are the backbone of my standard IPA, but I love 'em for their pine-grapefruit taste and I don't think you want that in a stout. They will give you a brand-new taste experience. It might taste great. But you're looking at betting five gallons and six months on it...

If you do, let us know how it turns out!

--Finn

Back