Need your guys idea to a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoferret

Reaction score
Just tossing this out there. How much money/work/time would you need to make a brew pub?

You'd have to sell all the other crap beer that people like but sell only your micro brew on tap. So you'd have like 3 or 4 year around brews and then do specialty brews depending on the season.

You'd all so have to have great food to go with the great beer.

What kind of liquer licence would you have to get?

What would you have to do to make the gov happy? Would u need to have a brew master (college degree type person) or someone who know way to much about brewing that they'd be a brew master?

than ks nick

I don't know what kind of license you would need (the law varies from state to state), but I do know you will need a whole pot full of money. Usually way more than you expect.
Good food is a must.
Most brewpubs that I have ever been to don't sell megaswill.
Lots of brewpubs have brewers that are self taught.

It would take more money than you have...always does, so you'd have to get partners.

It would take over your life. No vacations for at least 5 years.

Forget about the government hassles. No matter what you wanted to brew there are state laws that say your brew can only be to a specific alcoholic strength and if you get cause out of that range...Whammo!

Just keep a lot of cash on hand.

Based on a local brewpub's experiences: you are looking at $400-500K in equipment for a 10 barrel brewery and a kitchen. As stated, licensing varies from state to state. In Oregon, a brewery takes one type of license, a brewpub requires a different one. Add in building costs and enough money for float for a year to 18 months, probably another $200K.

Another possibility is to work with someone who wants to start a resturant. Make certain that this is someone you won't mind killing eventually.:eek:

Oregon Trails is stuck back in the corner of the Olde World Deli, they sell his ales on tap and he sells it elsewhere. I've always felt the ideal setup is to have a small pub in between a pizza place and a sausage shop.

A surprising number of megaswillers will drink a golden or a wheat, if you keep the hops on the light side.

Most brewers learned their trade on the job. I would strongly recommend working at a brewery for 6 months to a year, first, even if you do not intend to be the brewer.

If you are serious and don't mind moving to Oregon, the Trask Brewpub is available.

Latest posts

Back