Airlock ???'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
OK guys put my brew in the primary last night I saw some some bubbles a few hours ago then while I am looking at it I see something wrong my airlock does not have a cap on it my fiance didnt know what it was for so she threw it away. I have a water bottle cap that put in sanitizer and put it on but it is a little big. Is this a big problem?

No problem that I can see with using whatever you need to make it fit.
As long as the inner piece is there on a 3 piece unit you're good to go, and if it a one piece unit don't worry. All's well.

alright guys thanks yes its a three peice and i have the sanitizer in there you saved the ol lady from a real good BIT@HING!!!!

speaking of airlocks.... is there a different purpose for the different types of airlocks? I just bought one of the 2 chamber ones cause it looks cooler than my 3 piece single one.. not sure if that was a good enough reason to buy it though..

The double bubble airlock is my airlock of choice due to its ease of use. The 3 piece airlock is now used as my blow off tube as I was easily able to break off the bottom cross on it and throw some tubing into the top.
-Me

If this is the round flat cap that goes on top and you really want it capped, use some tin foil or plastic wrap and a rubber band. Strap it on and poke some holes for the CO2 to vent.

speaking of airlocks.... is there a different purpose for the different types of airlocks? I just bought one of the 2 chamber ones cause it looks cooler than my 3 piece single one.. not sure if that was a good enough reason to buy it though..
The 3-piece airlocks are made to handle a larger volume of CO2 going through it. The s-type can't handle the larger volume of CO2. However, the s-type's advantage is it will bubble with small amounts of CO2 (which the 3 piece does not).

I think the whole purpose of having different types of airlocks is having different bubbly devices hypnotizing you in different ways at the same time. I have two 3-piece airlocks, an S-type, and a blowoff all going in my living room; it's like lava lamps for grown ups.

Thats a nice idea on modding the 3 piece... I've got a few and could sacrifice one for that purpose.

I'll save the S type for the secondary... sounds like a better move.

Back