Charleston Homebrewing Community

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alliloop

Reaction score
...is there one? A community of homebrewers, I mean. I found the Lowcountry Libations Homebrew Club in a google search, but that site hasn't been updated since 2010.
So, who around here brews? We just moved down here and looking to meet new people of the homebrewing persuasion.

Cheers!
A

Lowcountry Libations is very active but going through some current changes. New pres, vp, and secretary were elected in December and still working on making the updates. Here is the FB page that is also being revamped. https://www.facebook.com/lclhomebrew

I've been a member over a year and it is a great group of people. Last year the club finished 2nd overall in competition points and several members were winning ribbons time and time again.

Keep checking the facebook page and Website for updates.

Oh great, thanks. (I didn't wanna bug ya about the dead link! :eek: )We're definitely interested, and will show up!

Hi to all !, I am a new brewer and live in west ashley currently bubbling brew # 4 and looking for other brewers that may be close by that would like to maybe exchange ideas and methods and generally share in the hobby.... Thanks

Hi to all !, I am a new brewer and live in west ashley currently bubbling brew # 4 and looking for other brewers that may be close by that would like to maybe exchange ideas and methods and generally share in the hobby.... Thanks

I just recently got into home brewing myself and am also located in West Ashley. In fact my tax return (part of it anyways) was my brew equipment setup fund. I jumped in the deep end and am starting out all grain. I'm hoping to brew my first batch next weekend.

I'm interested in getting to know some of my fellow brewers in the area to learn from as there is only so much you can get from online research.

I just recently got into home brewing myself and am also located in West Ashley. In fact my tax return (part of it anyways) was my brew equipment setup fund. I jumped in the deep end and am starting out all grain. I'm hoping to brew my first batch next weekend.

I'm interested in getting to know some of my fellow brewers in the area to learn from as there is only so much you can get from online research.

Hey travestian, if you want to give me a call I'd love to check out your setup as i am about to start into all grain myself , John 620-202-0864

Hey travestian, if you want to give me a call I'd love to check out your setup as i am about to start into all grain myself , John 620-202-0864

Yeah I'll call you in the next few days hopefully. I've got in-laws flying in tomorrow night so might need to be the weekend. Looks like my stuff won't be shipping in until after the weekend though so may be 1 more week before brew day #1. I've been saving a Dogfishead 120 minute for just that occasion! -Jason

So, Im thinking maybe if there were a handful of us homebrewers in close proximity we could get it together and not only share in the hobby as well as ordering togeather to save a little money here and there, so if anyone around the west ashley / charleston area is interested Chime in and lets see what we can do.. As i said before i am a newb and am eager to learn more about all this...
And YA Jason holler anytime, John

Hey guys,

Great timing on that :) I just moved to Charleston and me and a friend are getting an all grain setup together. We're currently looking at places to buy bulk grains. Any advice? Would you guys want to go into it together? We might have to make our way out to Columbia or hit up one of the local breweries to see if they'll sell us a couple big bags haha.

-Dan

Well , Like i said im new at this myself and just about ready to start into all grain brewing so still have a bit to learn and looking for others that might like to get togeather and toss it around and yes even workout buying more in bulk. That being said, some of us would only want small amounts while others may want more so it would be all about a get togeather and kick it all around and also we might need at least a few brewers to make it work... also i would really like to work with others to learn more about this hobby. also being retired i have a quite alot of time on my hands to work on equipment and such with a background in fabrication,welding and metalwork so hey you never know what each of us has to bring to the table? Regards, John

Hey John,

That's great! We'd be happy to teach you whatever we know. We're going to start brewing (big batches - we're currently doing really small runs) as soon as we order our grains. Feel free to shoot me a text/call at (347) 927-2283. Best,

-Dan

Sorry John for not getting to you. Things have been quite hectic lately. You know how in-laws can go.

On a side note I'm doing my very first brew day this Saturday at 10am out in west ashley. If any of you want to come just PM me and I can send you my address. I've got one other buddy (also never brewed before) already coming but more is merrier. My wife and kids will be out of the house for the duration.

Did I mention it's all grain?

Sorry John for not getting to you. Things have been quite hectic lately. You know how in-laws can go.

On a side note I'm doing my very first brew day this Saturday at 10am out in west ashley. If any of you want to come just PM me and I can send you my address. I've got one other buddy (also never brewed before) already coming but more is merrier. My wife and kids will be out of the house for the duration.

Did I mention it's all grain?

Brew day postponed unfortunately. My wife and kids are sick and I can't afford to spend the time away from them. I'm hoping for next weekend but we'll see what the SWMBO says.

Brew day postponed unfortunately. My wife and kids are sick and I can't afford to spend the time away from them. I'm hoping for next weekend but we'll see what the SWMBO says.

To my surprise SWMBO said I could brew today. Thanks to John and my buddy Ryan for helping out today. Popped my Brewer's Cherry with a 5 gallon batch of American Ale. Cheers!

You just moved to CHS from NYC? So did we, in January. Where abouts were you?

One thing to know - the places around here that sell grains, don't mill them for you. Sooo... either order them milled, or be prepared to invest in a mill for yourself.

PS - I miss Brooklyn Homebrew. :(

You just moved to CHS from NYC? So did we, in January. Where abouts were you?

One thing to know - the places around here that sell grains, don't mill them for you. Sooo... either order them milled, or be prepared to invest in a mill for yourself.

PS - I miss Brooklyn Homebrew. :(

I'll bet that the guys at Holy City could be talked into milling for you if you bought from them (their prices are really reasonable too). They're all really nice, approachable dudes.

Would any of the Charleston brewers be interested in 2 1/2 cases of clean, brown, pop top bottles that are ready to be filled? I purged all my bottles tonight and have more than enough to keep me supplied for a while. I'm in Summerville near Summerville High School but work near the Harley shop in North Charleston if you would rather pick up there. Maybe a sample bottle or two of your homebrew could be traded as well. :mug: Let me know if you are interested.

Justin

Would any of the Charleston brewers be interested in 2 1/2 cases of clean, brown, pop top bottles that are ready to be filled? I purged all my bottles tonight and have more than enough to keep me supplied for a while. I'm in Summerville near Summerville High School but work near the Harley shop in North Charleston if you would rather pick up there. Maybe a sample bottle or two of your homebrew could be traded as well. :mug: Let me know if you are interested.

Justin

I'm up for those bottles. I'm fermenting my first batch right now so I could always drop a few off later on. I drive by the Harley dealership every day and would prefer to pick them up by there if possible as I live in West Ashley. Let me know what day works for you. I'm easy. Thanks a bunch!

Jason

I'll bet that the guys at Holy City could be talked into milling for you if you bought from them (their prices are really reasonable too). They're all really nice, approachable dudes.

I went there Saturday for the food truck and some samples. They said they would mills the grains for you. Didn't ask if there was a minimum.

I'm up for those bottles. I'm fermenting my first batch right now so I could always drop a few off later on. I drive by the Harley dealership every day and would prefer to pick them up by there if possible as I live in West Ashley. Let me know what day works for you. I'm easy. Thanks a bunch!

Jason

Hey Jason, someone else already beat you to these but I'll PM you directly next time. I'll be cleaning out more soon, I'm starting to keg more so the bottles will be transitioning out.

Hey Jason, someone else already beat you to these but I'll PM you directly next time. I'll be cleaning out more soon, I'm starting to keg more so the bottles will be transitioning out.

Thanks Justin. I at least have enough to bottle this first batch so no rushing. Unless you want to hehe.

So I'm interested in attending a Lowcountry Libations meeting when I happen to be off of work on a Saturday. What goes on at the meetings? Can I/should I bring homebrew?

I'm still an extract brewer, but I'm looking to clean up my brewing process before I move on to all-grain. I'd like other brewers to taste my beer and give me some tips as a part of that process.

So I'm interested in attending a Lowcountry Libations meeting when I happen to be off of work on a Saturday. What goes on at the meetings? Can I/should I bring homebrew?

I'm still an extract brewer, but I'm looking to clean up my brewing process before I move on to all-grain. I'd like other brewers to taste my beer and give me some tips as a part of that process.

I've not been to a Lowcountry Libations meeting since my work schedule does not jive with evenings very well sometimes. I'm interested in trying one out though. Let me know what you find out.

I've not been to a Lowcountry Libations meeting since my work schedule does not jive with evenings very well sometimes. I'm interested in trying one out though. Let me know what you find out.

The first 10-15 minutes normally consist of competition discussion. Who previously placed, any comps coming up, any local events, etc. The meetings are very laid back. Some people bring homebrew every time, some bring it every other meeting or so, some bring 3-4 different styles. Don't feel obligated to bring any your first time if you just want to hang out and get a feel for everything. Typically they start the tasting light to dark styles, the brewer will stand talk about ingredients, yeast, etc and you'll get honest constructive feed back from the group.

The next meeting is this coming Saturday April 27th at Laura Alberts on Daniel Island, time is 2pm and it can last 2 hours plus depending on how many people come and the number of brews sampled.

Where do you guys buy your ingredients and goodies with no homebrew shop local? I know Holy City has grains and some hops and yeast but most of our things have to come from online. How many of you actually make a trip to Bev-mar in Columbia?

I've been to Bev-Mar but I can actually order online with shipping cheaper than going to Columbia. I typically use Brewmasters Warehouse for bulk ingredients because they are in Georgia and I receive it much faster than Northern Brewer or Midwest. If I don't have a time constraints I order from whomever is running the best deals. Something I prefer with Brewmasters Warehouse is the ability to order grains in ounces. You can order the exact recipe and dont have to spend extra on unneeded ingredients.

Holy city changed it a bit and you have to email ahead with your order. Its nice that they carry some grains and hops but my last 3 batches I wouldn't have been able to brew if I bought solely from them. I need to check out brew masters warehouse. I've been ordering from alternative beverage up in Charlotte or Austin home brew.

One thing that Holy City is great for when it comes to ingredients is that they will sell you a full 55 lb sack of Weyermann malt for a good price. I think I got a sack of pale 2-row malt for $50.

I would like to see more grain selection too, but it's nice that they have something since before Charleston had nothing.

Bottles in Mt. Pleasant also apparently sells some homebrew supplies, but I've never been inside their building and they don't list what they have on their website, so I haven't a clue as to what selection they offer.

One thing that Holy City is great for when it comes to ingredients is that they will sell you a full 55 lb sack of Weyermann malt for a good price. I think I got a sack of pale 2-row malt for $50.

I would like to see more grain selection too, but it's nice that they have something since before Charleston had nothing.

Bottles in Mt. Pleasant also apparently sells some homebrew supplies, but I've never been inside their building and they don't list what they have on their website, so I haven't a clue as to what selection they offer.

Not a bad price, ill probably buy a 55 lb bag from them. Anyone else in the low country entering the ironbrewer competition? Ill be at mellow this evening for the ingredient reveal

Not a bad price, ill probably buy a 55 lb bag from them. Anyone else in the low country entering the ironbrewer competition? Ill be at mellow this evening for the ingredient reveal

I for one will not be entering this year. I did enter last year's competition, but for various reasons, I did not submit either of the batches I made. The organization for last year's competition was sloppy, with lots of contradicting information and last-minute changes. Then, the judging wasn't along the guidelines of the BJCP, so it was basically just a popularity contest.

I guess that's okay if the brewers who enter it are fine with that, but I don't believe they made that part clear last year. I personally want hard guidelines of some sort to know how they're judging the beer.

I for one will not be entering this year. I did enter last year's competition, but for various reasons, I did not submit either of the batches I made. The organization for last year's competition was sloppy, with lots of contradicting information and last-minute changes. Then, the judging wasn't along the guidelines of the BJCP, so it was basically just a popularity contest.

I guess that's okay if the brewers who enter it are fine with that, but I don't believe they made that part clear last year. I personally want hard guidelines of some sort to know how they're judging the beer.

Yea, the ingredients are corriander seeds, basil, lavender and rosemary. I understand the popularity judging, since there arnt desperate categories for different beers.

Yea, the ingredients are corriander seeds, basil, lavender and rosemary. I understand the popularity judging, since there arnt desperate categories for different beers.

I guess with those ingredients, they'd all wind up being in the specialty beer categories anyway. Do you have to use all of those in the beer?

I just ordered ingredients last night for the Iron Brew. I hope it turns out better this year than last.

Back