Are these dimensions OK for a Mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endovelico

Reaction score
I'm getting all the stuff to begin AG, and i have this tall 8 gallon cooler with the following dimensions: Height: 16 inches. Width: 8 Inches and Length: 15 inches.

I fear the length and width might be too small and that it might lead to overly deep grainbeds...

So i wanted to hear opinions on wether this is a good sized cooler to use as a mash tun for 5 gallon batches with 1.050 to 1.070 OG.

Thanks in advance.

Should be fine...the area-to-height isn't all that different from all the 10-gallon Igloos people use. Plus, grain bed depth isn't really an issue, if you batch sparge. Even fly sparging, I doubt you'd have issues with that setup.

Should be fine...the area-to-height isn't all that different from all the 10-gallon Igloos people use. Plus, grain bed depth isn't really an issue, if you batch sparge. Even fly sparging, I doubt you'd have issues with that setup.

Thanks for that. Its just that most Mash tuns ive seen use very large and short coolers, and after reading some stuff on Palmers book i got scared about stuck sparging.

Don't be afraid of stuck sparges. I've only had one slow sparge and that was a pumpkin ale. Stuck sparge is just another homebrewing term that people read about and worry over.

Back