Strong Bitter Hobgoblin clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wlp005
Yeast Starter
Yes 1000ml
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Nope
Tasting Notes
Tastes just the like the rral thing at bottling time
9lbs marris otter
1lb crystal 30L
0.25lbs chocolate malt
0.5lb carapils

Mashed at 153 for 60 mins with 4 gallons of water.

0.5oz fuggles first wort hops (5.1%)
0.5oz styrian golding first wort hops (3.2%)
0.5oz fuggles @30 mins
1oz styrian goldings @20 mins
1oz styrian goldings @5 mins
1 protofloc added at 15mins

Cooled to 70f and pitched 1 liter starter of wlp005 and let ferment for 5 days.
Racked to secondary for 2 days and bottled.
Taste as bottling time was just like the real thing.
I primed with dextrose to 1.2 volumes to get this bad boy as close to draught as possible

I would like to make a Hobgoblin clone. What ever happened to Orfy"s clone recipe?

I have no idea where his has gone, the first one I made to his recipe and thought it was very good.
I wanted to try and get even close, and with a few pointers from the head brewer I made a few changes to this and was very happy that it was almost identical to the draught version.

I brewed this recently and absolutely love it. I kept the same recipe but i did change the fermentation schedule. I did 2 days at 62f then raised it to 68f for a further 5 days.
Racked it to secondary for a further 6 days.
I also primed with 3.5oz of corn sugar.
Wooville Brown Ale.jpg

It's in a comp that's being judged this weekend so will be interesting to see how it fairs.

I brewed this recently and absolutely love it. I kept the same recipe but i did change the fermentation schedule. I did 2 days at 62f then raised it to 68f for a further 5 days.
Racked it to secondary for a further 6 days.
I also primed with 3.5oz of corn sugar.
View attachment 277930

It's in a comp that's being judged this weekend so will be interesting to see how it fairs.

Good luck with the competition mate, lemme know how it scores. I have not brewed for a few months due to time constraints, but this will be my first brew on my return to the scene.
Have you compared it to the real deal? What do u think compared to the real deal?
I personally this it's damn close

I Just got the competition results back and i'm pretty happy how it went.
No medals or placings however it made it into the final round for best in show and scored a respectable 35.5

I did get a feeling that the judges didn't respect the style enough and asked for a lot more nutty taste in the flavor. If they only knew it was a clone from an actual bjcp recommended beer to style.

I'm in Portland Oregon now and have not managed to find a bottle to compare it to the real deal, however i've drunk a fair amount of it in my youth back in England and can vouch this recipe is really close to the original. I took it to my club meet last week and got rave reviews back on it. I am going to continue brewing this regularly.

If you like English brown's give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Brewed this last week and it's still bubbling away. I used Wyeast 1335 and my OG came out at 1.058, so I might end up with a bit more ABV, which isn't a bad thing IMO. Really straightforward recipe that wasn't too tough to make. I'll post my result of the finished beer in a couple weeks. I'm still debating about transferring it to a secondary. We'll see.

First impression is this is very similar to the original Hobgoblin. The Wyeast 1335 give a nice malty profile with pleasant fruity esters. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet, but I think my FG of 1.011 will be a little to light to compare. Otherwise the flavor is great. I don't think I would change a thing.

Latest posts

Back