Dark Mild Reaper's Mild, 1st place 2011 HBT Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try this out this week. Quite a bit of a noob, so here is a question. In ratio for mash you said, 1.25:1

Is that grains to water or water to grains? I know, I know, that is probably obvious to most.

Cheers!

Water to grain.

Correct it is the water to grain ratio.

Okay, second stupid question. If that is water to grains and I have 7.6 pounds of grain, by water are we talking quarts or gallons? Gallons seems to be a lot of water. (9.5 by my calculations which admittedly could be wrong).

Thanks for the help and sorry for being a dunce.

I believe quarts:lbs

Yes it is quarts to pounds, so you would need 9.5 quarts of water for your 7.6 lbs of grain (or 2.375 gallons).

Thanks guys.

That is what I thought. I guess I should not post in the evening after a few. It seems so much clearer this morning. Still, it is good to have definitive answers.

Best

Cbaddad said:
Thanks guys.

That is what I thought. I guess I should not post in the evening after a few. It seems so much clearer this morning. Still, it is good to have definitive answers.

Best

Post away. Drunk posting can be fun some times. :)

Thanks guys.

Best

I would rather answer a buzzed evening question than a 'help me Im confused' panic question when you are balls deep in a brewday.

No worries, ask any questions you need if you are unsure!!

Thanks guys. This is the best resource. I am learning so much. I'll let you know how it comes along.

Thanks guys. This is the best resource. I am learning so much. I'll let you know how it comes along.

If you are unsure about anything, and searching doesnt clear it up, ask away!

I remember trying to find some info, search wasnt any help because I was unsure what the proper lingo was to search for... :drunk:

Has anyone tried WLP013 with this beer? I'm wondering how the oakey taste would do with this beer.

My keg of this is just about kicked and the flavors are really starting to take off. I may bottle the next batch and lay them down for competition only.

Hey guys,

Enjoying my first English Mild. Turned out very nice! It will be three weeks on Tuesday that I brewed this. I imagine it will get even better in a week, but damn it tastes good. Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers!

image-208005907.jpg

I brewed a version of this today.

8# Maris Otter
1.5# Crystal 60L
1# Chocolate malt

1.5 oz Fuggle at 75 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggle at 15 minutes
1.0 oz Fuggle at 5 minutes

I BIAB and been struggling with my efficiency I been low 60%'s. Thus, I increased the grains a bit to compensate. Well today, I tried a different mash out technique. Well, the technique worked GREAT. I had an efficiency of 78.5% :ban:. Making my OG a bit high for style 1.060. Thus, I think I will call this "The not so mild - mild"

Based on your guys comment, I was thinking about bottling this in 10-12 days. This is so much faster then I have ever done before. Since, my version is a little heavier (Depending on where it finishes it will be close to 6%) will I still be able to do the quick turn around?

Cheers,

Josh

I might wait a bit longer if fermentation temps varied, it could have some off flavors.

I tend to keg most of my easy drinking beers ( read no spices or huge ABV) at the 10 day mark, once I nailed down fermentation temps and pitching a proper volume of yeast, my turnaround shortened greatly

You're certainly welcome to brew anything you want, but at 1.060 we've stepped completely outside the Mild realm. A mild is supposed to be 1.030-1.038. :D

M_C

I completely agree. I was really excited to have something lighter. I tend to brew everything in the 7-10% so I was really looking forward to a season beer. I guess it is the best mistake I can make...

I might wait a bit longer if fermentation temps varied, it could have some off flavors.

I tend to keg most of my easy drinking beers ( read no spices or huge ABV) at the 10 day mark, once I nailed down fermentation temps and pitching a proper volume of yeast, my turnaround shortened greatly

Sweet, My last brew temp got a little hot for my tasting (70-72) so I found a cooler at the house that my primary fits in and made a little "swap cooler" for this brew. Temp is been kept in the low 60's so far. I took it out of the cooler to try and bring it up a could degrees. Tonight, I will prob put it back to cooler to offset the increased temp due to the yeast. She is fermenting nicely so far!

I put this on a s-04 yeast cake that was made with two packets. So, hopefully it will be enough yeast.

At what point do you consider a beer to be a "huge ABV"? Hopefully, you say over 7% :p

I completely agree. I was really excited to have something lighter. I tend to brew everything in the 7-10% so I was really looking forward to a season beer. I guess it is the best mistake I can make...

Everybody's got a different opinion as to what's considered a "big" ABV.

I love to brew to style, and my 1st (and only first, so far) was 1.035. I was extremely happy with how it turned out. Excellent mouthfeel for a "small" beer.

M_C

I BIAB and been struggling with my efficiency I been low 60%'s. Thus, I increased the grains a bit to compensate. Well today, I tried a different mash out technique. Well, the technique worked GREAT. I had an efficiency of 78.5% :ban:. Making my OG a bit high for style 1.060. Thus, I think I will call this "The not so mild - mild"

Cheers,

Josh

Does anyone think it would be effective to add water to bring the gravity down?
My brewmate an i made a pilsner and our effeciency went buckwild, if we'd left it, it would've been about 10 percent, so we took a gallon of the ten an then added water to bring it down to a more reasonable 5. It just feels so wrong to "water down" beer

Couple of questions. I have never had this style before, but would like to brew it for a competition in September.

Can I use S-04 instead of Notty? It's what I have on hand for English yeast.
I don't have Fuggles or EKG, can I sub Styrian Goldings? Or should I use Willamette?

@sub the notty with s-04 and use your willamette for bittering additions, ans the holdings for flavor and aroma. Just be sure to adjust for the AA% to keep the ibu the same.

First off Ill say that this was my first all grain brew constructed using the mash tun I built last week. So im pretty excited to try this one in a few weeks. The coolest thing was that I used an app on my thunderbolt that calculated strike temp so that my mash temp would be spot on, and it was, the cool part being at the end of the 60 mins, I hadn't lost a single degree. Exactly 158 the whole time. I messed up at the HBS and put in too much grain, but was only off by 3/10 of a lb with the Marris otter. That isnt much, and im not sure why I ended up with 1.042 OG at the end of my boil. I still had 5.5 gal of wort almost exactly. Worse case being I have a slightly higher gravity than prescribed, which in my book is hardly a tragedy. Some one mentioned walameete and EKG as alternate hopps to try, so I did. split them 50/50 at 45 and 15 mins. Sure hope this turns out better than my last two beers. Im dying to try it.

Something I forgot to mention was the fermentation temp situation which im a little nervous about. I couldn't get my temp below 76 (ouch), so I had to pitch so at least the thing would get rolling before the bad guys moved in. I just hope temps between 70-75 wont hurt it too much. Ive heard bad things about Notty above 65 degrees, then others reporting no off flavors higher than that, so maybe ill just have to let it go a while before kegging.

First off Ill say that this was my first all grain brew constructed using the mash tun I built last week. So im pretty excited to try this one in a few weeks. The coolest thing was that I used an app on my thunderbolt that calculated strike temp so that my mash temp would be spot on, and it was, the cool part being at the end of the 60 mins, I hadn't lost a single degree. Exactly 158 the whole time. I messed up at the HBS and put in too much grain, but was only off by 3/10 of a lb with the Marris otter. That isnt much, and im not sure why I ended up with 1.042 OG at the end of my boil. I still had 5.5 gal of wort almost exactly. Worse case being I have a slightly higher gravity than prescribed, which in my book is hardly a tragedy. Some one mentioned walameete and EKG as alternate hopps to try, so I did. split them 50/50 at 45 and 15 mins. Sure hope this turns out better than my last two beers. Im dying to try it.

As long as fermentation temps have been kept in check, the other little errors shouldnt be an issue. it may not turn out like the recipe but it will be a solid drinkable beer.

Something I forgot to mention was the fermentation temp situation which im a little nervous about. I couldn't get my temp below 76 (ouch), so I had to pitch so at least the thing would get rolling before the bad guys moved in. I just hope temps between 70-75 wont hurt it too much. Ive heard bad things about Notty above 65 degrees, then others reporting no off flavors higher than that, so maybe ill just have to let it go a while before kegging.

As long as fermentation temps have been kept in check, the other little errors shouldnt be an issue. it may not turn out like the recipe but it will be a solid drinkable beer.

Fail sauce

Ooh, I didnt see that last bit on my phone, I would look into an old dorm fridge and a temp controller, that was the single best upgrade I made to my process. I found an old kenmore mini fridge that fit a carboy in it if I took the blow-molded door pockets off. I also had to gently fold the freezer plate down so it was along the back wall. I later added a 12" collar to it so I could ferment 3 carboys at once in it. (I have a few pics posted up in this thread)

The "fail" was about my beer not your help, tnx btw. Anyhow, right now I have a kegerator so buying yet another fridge just isnt in the works at the moment, so I think ill just have to be careful of what types of brews I make in the summer months and what type of yeast I use. In the winter I could get the Ideal temps for this beer with ease. I just hope this beer is drinkable, or could be with a bit more time to rest.

You could put your fermenter into a tub or cooler, fill it up with cold water and put a t-shirt over the fermenter, it will wick the water up the shirt, keeping the beer cool. add a small fan blowing on it and you should be able to maintain 10° cooler than ambient that way, also adding frozen water bottles to the water bath helps keep things cooler yet.

You could put your fermenter into a tub or cooler, fill it up with cold water and put a t-shirt over the fermenter, it will wick the water up the shirt, keeping the beer cool. add a small fan blowing on it and you should be able to maintain 10° cooler than ambient that way, also adding frozen water bottles to the water bath helps keep things cooler yet.

Good Idea! ill try it. We used to do something similar to our water bottles in the desert. You put a sock over it and wet the sock then leave hang it in the shade. In a half hour you have a nice cold btl of water without a refrigerator.

Wow. At 5 weeks in, three on the gas, this beer has bloomed into something fantastic. I have been enjoying it these last three weeks, but something happened a couple days ago: mouthfeel swelled and beer got even better than before. It is such a nice beer to drink, but if you have the space or willpower to wait on this, man is it good.

Thanks again. I'll be brewing up another batch soon.

Wow. At 5 weeks in, three on the gas, this beer has bloomed into something fantastic. I have been enjoying it these last three weeks, but something happened a couple days ago: mouthfeel swelled and beer got even better than before. It is such a nice beer to drink, but if you have the space or willpower to wait on this, man is it good.

Thanks again. I'll be brewing up another batch soon.

Awesome to hear you like it! It is a simple recipe that offers huge flavor and depth in a low gravity session ale.

It also impresses friends who assume dark is heavy and bitter, it is quite the opposite

Finally tasted my "not so mild, mild" Even with overshooting the gravity by a crapload, this tastes FANTASTIC!!!!

I realized part of my overshooting was I was short some fluid. I think I ended up bottling 42 bottles. I can't wait until I get my system ironed out more. It prob won't happen until after I upgrade to a keggle and put a sight glass on it.

Thanks for the recipe!!!

Finally tasted my "not so mild, mild" Even with overshooting the gravity by a crapload, this tastes FANTASTIC!!!!

I realized part of my overshooting was I was short some fluid. I think I ended up bottling 42 bottles. I can't wait until I get my system ironed out more. It prob won't happen until after I upgrade to a keggle and put a sight glass on it.

Thanks for the recipe!!!

No problem! Even though you missed the mark gravitywise, at least you made a great drinking beer!

This is going to be my next brew, my 2nd all-grain. I'm having trouble getting the numbers in Beersmith match up with the recipe for some reason. Even the hops, which should be straight-forward, is giving me 25.5 IBUs rather than the 20.4 of the recipe. The color is coming out at 25.4 rather than 19.1. I guess color is likely some difference in the grain but the bitterness has me puzzled. This calculator:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

(with starting boil volume of 6.5 and ending of 5.5) also predicts a bitterness quite a bit higher than the recipe. What am I missing?

In the end it won't matter as I'll just follow the recipe but the software being off so much makes me worry that I'm missing something important!

Back when this recipe was entered into my brewing software, I was using promash, this could indeed be the culprit in your numbers being off. I have seen a few similar issues with other recipes before.

Think I'll give this one a go next week. What did you go for in terms of CO2 volume? Thinking ahead for how much priming sugar to use come bottling day.

I'll probably stick with a fly sparge at 170 rather than a mash out and double batch sparge. Do you see any problem or issue with me taking that course?

Think I'll give this one a go next week. What did you go for in terms of CO2 volume? Thinking ahead for how much priming sugar to use come bottling day.

I'll probably stick with a fly sparge at 170 rather than a mash out and double batch sparge. Do you see any problem or issue with me taking that course?

I set the carbonation to 1.9 volumes, English ales tend to be a lower carbonation than most.

As for fly sparging, I don't see an advantage of batch vs fly. If you fly sparge, then by all means go for it! as long as the end numbers are correct how you got there doesnt matter much. :mug:

Back