Am I just insane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
So I transfered an oaked porter to a keg to let it bulk age for another month and b/c I needed some space. Anyways, when i transfered to the keg, I gave it a couple blasts of Co2 at 30psi to purge the oxygen and vented it between the blasts. Anyways, after I vented it the last time, I wanted to give it a good blast of Co2 to store the keg under a bit of pressure, but my Co2 tank ran out!

I know that the Co2 is heavier than oxygen and will form a barrier over the beer. But should I be concerned that the keg isnt under pressure keeping the lid sealed? Im sure I'm just being paranoid and just need to RDWHAHB

It is fine. If you are concerned, refill your co2 tank and then seat it with the 30 psi if you fell it needs it. The keg will wait for you and you already likely got the oxygen out of it.

It is fine. If you are concerned, refill your co2 tank and then seat it with the 30 psi if you fell it needs it. The keg will wait for you and you already likely got the oxygen out of it.

Alright, thats what I figured. The problem with refilling my Co2 tank is that I wont have time until at least next week to go to my LHBS.... Good to hear it will be fine

My main paranoia is not from the oxygen, but from any possible infection. Is there any chance that with the lid not sealed under pressure, of an infection? I know it is so unlikely and I am probably worrying WAY too much, but I just started kegging and I tend to overract! I did spray around the lid with StarSan after I vented it.

If the keg was sanitized when you racked the beer into it, you are good. There is more of a risk of oxidation than infection, but since you purged the headspace with co2 and vented it, you are good. Relax.

Even if the lid isn't perfectly seated, whatever minute gap in the seal isn't enough to let in oxygen to have an effect on the beer, at least in the short term. If you had it in there for a long time, like months or years, and it was going through regular temperature swings, the contraction of the gas in the head space during the cooling cycle would suck a little bit of air into the keg each time. Over the course of many, many, many cycles you would eventually end up with pretty much only air in the head space, and oxidized beer.

Short answer, no worries. Just re-purge and seal it up when you got your new tank.

My main paranoia is not from the oxygen, but from any possible infection. Is there any chance that with the lid not sealed under pressure, of an infection? I know it is so unlikely and I am probably worrying WAY too much, but I just started kegging and I tend to overract! I did spray around the lid with StarSan after I vented it.

if you are worried about infection cover the whole top of the keg with Saran wrap. The bugs don't crawl so they have to settle on the item.

Back