Cider Experiment!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpbartlett

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a demijohn kicking about the house so decided to try and make some cider in that.

Thouroghly sterlised the bottle first. Then I put

4 litres of 100% apple juice from concentrate,
50g of brewing sugar
1 tsb bread yeast.

I know bread yeast is not the way to go but was just doing an experiment with what i had, if it works out ok i will get proper yeast next time.

SO, I Shook the thing to death then placed an airlock on with a tad of vodka.

I woke up the next day to find the thing bubbling away nicely. I am now on the thrid day and still going so all is good i think.

My question is how long roughly should i be leaving it in the demijohn before drinking it. I was thinking a month would this seem feasible.

Leave it in until it reaches its FG just like anything else you brew up. Then rack and allow to age for the best results. I would bet it will end up fairly dry and take some time to mellow out. Although I don't know the stats of bread yeast.

Short answer it should be done in a month, but you might wanna wait a little longer.

I did almost the same recipe back in April. I didn't have any brewing yeast on hand so I tried some of my roommates baking yeast.

First thing you need to know, its that it will be good. It will have a light taste, with an EXTREMLY DRY finish.

I used 2 cups of Dextros for 3.5 L (call it a Gal) and it fermented and cleared in about 14 days. I only let it age 5 days at it was Victoria Day (Canadian National Holiday) and everyone at my BBQ wanted to try it.

From what I have read, traditional style bakers yeast ferments out at around 10%. This must have been closer to 15% though, because one glass and I things got nice and comfy.

Ah! Now I'm excited for my cider to come up!

Anyhow, unless you are looking for a specific FG, I would leave it in the Demi-John untill it clears - then wait 3 or 4 more days. Rack for a week or two and have at it.

I'm new to all this two, so let me know how it turns out.

Back