Autosiphon has small cracks from heat im guessing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-E-R-M-A-N

Reaction score
I have used my autosiphon 1 time for brewing. I haven't ever set the siphon in boiling water. I have only cleaned in hot water from faucet. I noticed that it has little stress like cracks in it in some spots now.

(similar to what happens when you dishwash cheap plastic.)

So with this said is this going to be safe to use at this point? I am afraid it might harbor something bad in the cracks.

You never need to use hot water on your plastic utensils. In order to kill bacteria you have to use 180 degree water for 20 minutes. Your tap doesn't get that hot and if it did you would melt the plastic before you reached 20 minutes.

Just use a sanitizer like Cleanitizer, One Step, or Easy Clean with luke warm water. The hot water from your tap will not do anything but damage plastic things.

Forrest

You never need to use hot water on your plastic utensils. In order to kill bacteria you have to use 180 degree water for 20 minutes. Your tap doesn't get that hot and if it did you would melt the plastic before you reached 20 minutes.

Just use a sanitizer like Cleanitizer, One Step, or Easy Clean with luke warm water. The hot water from your tap will not do anything but damage plastic things.

Forrest

So that being said I guess the small temp cracks are going to be a hazard huh?

Not that anyone should take what I do as advice, but most of my polycarbonate tubing (autosiphon, beer thief, etc) has those hairline cracks and all I do is soak them in star-san. My beer thief actually has a crack so big water will squirt out of it if you put it under any kind of pressure. Still works for the purpose, though.

My first Autosiphon did the same thing it looked like "crackled glass", I do believe it was from soaking/washing in hot water, then either laying it out to dry or rinsing in cool water, not sure. It will fail at some point, you will be shooting jets of wort or beer out of a crack or two some time in the near furture. My new one I have cleaned in cold water only and have no cracks after 15 or so batches (2 transfers or so per batch plus cleaning).

Back