Yeast Starter: How Critical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba70665

Reaction score
I'm brewing the midwest lawnmower de saison kit tomorrow. I didnt think ahead enough, (im literally typing this as i run out the door) and i didnt make a yeast starter. Im using the Wyeast 3942 belgian smack pack, and since yesterday its been steadily swelling and almost at full capacity. Will i be fine to go ahead and pitch this tomorrow when brewing, or should i reschedule for several days later and wait to make a starter (my schedule this week is insanely busy).

I want to get this brew on the road!! I've been waiting too long already. Is it an irrational mistake to skip the starter or will it be straight?

Well I'm still a greenhorn myself, but I think that if you got a smack pack, it's not meant to make a starter, it's meant to smack, swell for a few hours, and then pitch.

I think your best bet right now is to make a starter, if only to relieve the pressure in that smack pack. I imagine that eventually that thing is going to pop or something will happen that is not conducive to healthy yeast...

Edit: Also, it doesn't take too long to make a starter. If your yeasties are already eating away, just boil some DME , cool it off and pitch into a growler or something with a way to let the pressure out and sit it somewhere roomish temp overnight. I did a similar thing the first time I used the Wyeast...thought I was getting Activator to pitch directly, but got Propegator to make a starter. Didn't realize until the night before, made the starter and it worked out fine. Great even.

ok well the problem is i've just talked to my roommates, and we really have to do it tonight or wait till the weekend. Bottom line im wondering, will it work without a starter? I've used white labs vials and dry yeast before without starters, so why not this?

Yes, it will be fine without a starter. Starters are more necessary for beers that have a high OG. From the information on the Midwest site it looks like the SG on this kit is about 1.055. Don't worry about it, pitch the yeast and enjoy the beer in a few weeks.

Are starters ideal? yes-when properly made a starter is a great thing. On the flip side I've pitched a bad starter into a batch and ruined the beer. A starter is another source of contamination is great care isn't taken. If you're really worried about pitching enough yeast suck up the additional 6.50-7.50 and get another vial/packet. I'd rather spend more on yeast and have a great batch than have under-attenuated sickly sweet beer.

Smack packs are great because you have a way to 'proof' your yeast. The packet of nutrient inside promotes yeast activity and tells you if the packet is viable. I've used both smack packs and vials of liquid yeast and love them both.

Back