adding honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjdunlap2

Reaction score
i am getting ready to brew a blonde ale and want to get more alcohol, i heard u can add honey and the sugar will make more alcohol is that true

Yes. But it may not improve the flavor or texture of the beer. It really depends on the recipe. Just adding it might cause it to become thinner and drier, not necessarily out of place in that style, but it might increase the "hotness", too and be unpalatable.

If you post the recipe, and how much honey you plan to add, we could give you better advice.

As YooperBrew said, adding honey will thin out the beer, and extend the primary / secondary / conditioning time.
I love to add honey to almost any style, try adding one pound at first and you will see how it takes longer, and the final product is lighter. I like to make very light braggots that clock in at around 9-10%, look like bud light and still have a good hop base, but it takes 2 months until they are ready.

I recently did an IIPA that didn't want to go any lower than 1.017. I added 3 pounds of honey and within a few days it had dropped to 1.015 and increased the alcohol to well over 8%. It dried it out the perfect amount and balanced the huge hops bitterness nicely. Don't be afraid of adding honey, but remember that if more than 30% of the fermentables are made up by honey you are probably making something other than beer.

Back