lost my nuts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
gaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!! I get up this morning for a great day of bottling and drinking beer. get everything all ready and go to soak my bottling bocket with some oxiclean only to find that the spigot for the bottling bucket is magically missing the nut that secures it to the bucket. and of course my brew shop is 45 minutes away and it's 2:00 am (I sleep during the evening and daytime).... is there anywhere else to get a replacement nut? or am I screwed buying a new bottling bucket.

I mean can I get a nut at home depot or walmart that's plastic and would work???

a threaded coupling would work also if they did not have nuts.
I am not sure the size...take it with you and try things out.

I would not use an Iron fitting..usually residual cutting oils from the factory are left on.
Copper, PVC, CPVC, Brass any of those should work. It just needs to fit.

That just made me think of checking out the kitchen isle where the faucets,connectors & all that would be found for plumbing the kitchen at home depot or lowe's. I agree to take it with you for size checking. They should have it in plastic.

I was going to mention something similar,but didn't. someone had to. Or to paraphrase an old one, old brewers never die,they just can't lift their sacks! :D

I lost mine too.

I have been married for 30 years now.

sorry I had too.

ROTFL!!!! yup, after a while you know where they are, just check my wife's purse

That just made me think of checking out the kitchen isle where the faucets,connectors & all that would be found for plumbing the kitchen at home depot or lowe's. I agree to take it with you for size checking. They should have it in plastic.

NICE! didn't think of that . I'll check there first

I would not use an Iron fitting..usually residual cutting oils from the factory are left on.
Copper, PVC, CPVC, Brass any of those should work. It just needs to fit.

the minute I typed it I knew the answer, I think if I can't find one in the kitchen aisle I'll try the pvc pipe coupling would be the next best bet

no nuts or fasteners of that size at any hardware store within range. found a PVC-1 bushing that worked though. a bit bulky but it will do in a pinch for $0.79 till I can get up to the brew shop

bottling complete. it was one of "those" bottling days.

1. lost the nut, had to jury rig a bushing coupler
2. my bottling wand kept falling out so I lost about 2 bottles worth (finally figured out I was using the WRONG hosing for the coupler from spigot to wand)
3. I found out my goblin chocolate stout pint bottles I just acquired had a funky thick top to the mouth and wouldn't cap so I had to pour 4 bottles of those into other bottles slowly (hope for no oxidization)
4. everything was chaotic...

I guess I had to have one of THOSE days sooner or later. now lets hope my next batch of Swamp nut brown ale turns out better

at least my washing of the yeast and cleanup seemed to go ok lol

The title of this post absolutely cracks me up. Thought it was going to be a divorce post lol.

The title of this post absolutely cracks me up. Thought it was going to be a divorce post lol.

well, me swearing at 2:00 am because I couldn't find the nut for my spigot almost got me a divorce if that counts :D

Back