Let's talk Bourbon Formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I'm interested in learning how great bourbon is created. Hear me out for a second. I don't know that I'm interested in making my own, but I'd like to learn their formulation techniques so I can apply some elements to my beers.

Yet, due to tight regulation, finding recipes for bourbon is near impossible. There are no Makers Mark Clones out there on google.

What are the essentials to making a smooth bourbon? I'd like to find out how to make a super-smooth big beer with some more pronounced flavors. Is it just the cask?

I call BS. :D

Cheese, I'd recommend picking up a book called Moonshine. It is a simple to read beginner's level account of distilling.

I've read it cover to cover and I don't really think many of the principles of distilling a liquor can convert over to brewing beer. Yes, the mash is the exact same process, but getting smooth liquor has very little to do with that part. It has to do with the distilling part more than anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, honestly. No intentions of shining.

Just interested in how some bourbons are so smoothe. Makers Mark is like water. There's no alcohol bite at all, when served on the rocks. I love bourbon. Drinking it right now!

FYI, My FIL has a still in his house on the farm. We've talked about getting it going, but never have. They know I make beer, they might be receptive to allowig me to make shine.

I actually got a chance to tour the Maker's Mark distillery when I was visiting family in Kentucky. I was <21 so I could buy my own bottle and hand dip it in the wax:(

The whole process seemed very simple. Creat sour mash with at least 50% corn plus barley, wheat, rye. Let that ferment in open top vat for a while and then distill. I think the secret is in the aging and the master taster. He/she can actually taste the whisky and decide where in the 'barn' the barrel needs to be placed and if it needs to be rotated. And then he/she decides on how the barrels should be blended for us poor folk and which barrels are good enough for you rich folk.

One day when I have the money I might go there and buy my own barrel. You get to be there when they distill it and put it in and then come back 5 or so years later and they bottle it and you get to take it home.

Smoothness usually comes from filtering/aging in charcoal - burned wood type, not the activated stone charcoal which removes flavour as well as nasty tasting fusel oils.

http://homedistiller.org/

Look in the top menu under flavouring - aging spirits and using wood.

Cheesefood said:
I'd like to find out how to make a super-smooth big beer with some more pronounced flavors. Is it just the cask?
I use oak chips soaked in bourbon and leave the whiskey making to the pros.

Back