can you ad a spice profile to any type of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwcat

Reaction score
New to brewing was wondering if I could add a spice profile to any kind of beer plan on brewing my first batch AG this weekend.

That's the beauty of homebrewing. You can do whatever the heck you want. Worst thing that happens is that it isn't good and you learn from the experience. That being said, make sure what you want to do will complement the base beer so you can avoid ending up with a dumper.

I've been thinking about it you wouldn't want a real strong spice profile on say an ale right it might overwhelm it is my thought.

rwcat said:
I've been thinking about it you wouldn't want a real strong spice profile on say an ale right it might overwhelm it is my thought.

Spice as in cinnamon or nutmeg? You can do it with any beer. Pumpkin beer is a spiced ale.

The lighter colored the ale,the lighter the body,generally. So the lighter the malt,the less pungent you'd want the spices to be. Maybe ad some citrus zest as well to brighten them up a bit.

New to brewing was wondering if I could add a spice profile to any kind of beer plan on brewing my first batch AG this weekend.
Obviously, it's theoretically possible, but I've never had a beer that would be improved by the addition of spices. For most beers, I don't think you can add spices without adversely affecting the flavor of the beer.

-a

Back