approaching critical mass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will be brewing my lame attempt at a Fat Tire Clone tonight, after racking the Kaffe Stout to the secondary that was just vacated by the Kaduva AIPA.

There will be homebrew in each stage of development; primary fermenting, secondary fermenting (two batches), bottle conditioning, and being consumed.

Life is goooooood. Now.. what can I possibly do with 20+ gallons of beer?

-walker

El Pistolero said:
And you're griping about missing a couple of ounces. ;)

Sure! I kow what to do with 22 gallons, but not 20.

Send me two gallons of your beer and I'll show you what I mean. :D

-walker

I'll be glad to...I'll reuse the cartons from those two bottles of tequila you're sending me.

ORRELSE said:
Why is it lame?

Because (a) I am an extract brewer and (b) I don't have ALL the ingredients for any one clone recipe that I have seen, but I have a mishmash of a couple clone recipes that I am going to use.

Hell.. it's been several months since I even HAD a Fat Tire, so I can't say I remember exactly what it tastes like, so I have no way of knowing if I've come close to the mark or not.

BTW: never got around to brewing last night anyway.

-walker

Walker said:
Because (a) I am an extract brewer

DO NOT think just cause you are an extract brewer that your beer might be "sub-par" to others.

My best batch so far was an extract. I'm still trying to duplicate that batch with an AG recipe and no luck yet.

You can make AWESOME beers with extract.

yeah, I know. Some of the extract brews that I have produced have been far superior to some AG batches that I have sampled. However, I always feel like I am cutting corners. I liken it to my wife's feelings when she makes pasta sauce. She's 100% italian, and often just buys plain tomato sauce to which she adds her own touches with fresh herbs and veggies. She feels bad about doing things this way, and so sometimes she pulls out the heavy equipment and makes it from scratch with fresh tomatoes.

I'm trying to shame myself into going AG. I find that shame is a great motivator. :D

-walker

edit: testing edit of very old post.

Walker said:
yeah, I know. Some of the extract brews that I have produced have been far superior to some AG batches that I have sampled. However, I always feel like I am cutting corners. I liken it to my wife's feelings when she makes pasta sauce. She's 100% italian, and often just buys plain tomato sauce to which she adds her own touches with fresh herbs and veggies. She feels bad about doing things this way, and so sometimes she pulls out the heavy equipment and makes it from scratch with fresh tomatoes.

I'm trying to shame myself into going AG. I find that shame is a great motivator. :D

-walker

Yeah--I got into AG for similar reasons. I've loved beer and everything about beer for a LONG time. I always wanted to brew it, and once I did, I felt I was cheating myself by doing extract. Even though I had decent beers I felt like I was using the pre-packaged brownie mix instead of doing the recipe from scratch.
I'm glad I did, but I have nothing against extract brewing at all. It is how almost all of us started out.

Brew on!

My BEST hefeweizen was a partial mash. Did an All grain base mash with wheat extract added to the boil. A friend of mine paid me to make it again.:D

I look at extract brewing this way...once there was a guy who extracted the wort from all grain. He got tired and this other guy came along and dried it out for him. He got tired and sold the dehydrated wort and I bought it. I added water to it and finished the job. I'm not taking shortcuts. The work that goes into creating a wort was already done, just not by me. :D

PS. The best part of all of this is his name is not Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Coors, Schmidt's, Schlitz, or anything else.

Back