2 or 3 bbl systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am starting up a nano brewery and am looking for a 2 bbl or larger without spending a zillion dollars. So far the only thing I have come across is the stout tanks and kettles products. It seems pretty nice (I've never seen one up close). Does anyone know of an alternative that will net me at least 60 gallons of wort into the fermenter?

Check out Psycho brew too.

One Idea I have been kicking around is adapting the Brew in Bag method, with a 80 to 100 gallon steam kettle. Kinda a DIY set up like the 75 gallon Braumister that more beer has for 14K.
You are in the LA area, I have seen working steam kettles go for very cheep on CL, as well there are some on ebay. Just a thought.

I was able to pick up a 25gallon NG kettle for 300 here in SD.

Check out Psycho brew too.

One Idea I have been kicking around is adapting the Brew in Bag method, with a 80 to 100 gallon steam kettle. Kinda a DIY set up like the 75 gallon Braumister that more beer has for 14K.
You are in the LA area, I have seen working steam kettles go for very cheep on CL, as well there are some on ebay. Just a thought.

I was able to pick up a 25gallon NG kettle for 300 here in SD.

Chris lives about 30 minutes from me and I have seen his rigs in person. They are really nice and his 4bbl setup is the way I'm leaning to for my brewery. He's working on one with a touch screen that can even be run from your smart phone. The only "issue" with his stuff is that he's using the Stout Tanks. The Stout Tanks are great but getting them has been a problem lately.

I thought his tanks looked familiar, I hear those stout tanks are good quality, but are taking a while to get built. I think he uses the BCS-460 controller, Thats what I'm running I like it a lot.

I like his idea of using a commercial tankless water heater as your HLT. I looked in to this too, with a Rinnai r94Lsi ran with their commercial controller one will put out water at 185ºF at 7gpm with two ran in line you can get more gpm at that high temp. I saw that at the old Green flash brewery they were doing some thing like this, but they had four inline.

There is a guy on pro brewer, Brew welder, he is in Northern California, I think redding, and is building 15bbl systems for 85K not including delivery. they look quite nice, good Sanitary TIG welding that is required for food production is hard to do.

IMO...you should try to get as big of a system as you can afford. Here in SD our first nano brewer Hess brewing just turned One year old, and is all ready in the process of expanding.

Chris lives about 30 minutes from me and I have seen his rigs in person. They are really nice and his 4bbl setup is the way I'm leaning to for my brewery. He's working on one with a touch screen that can even be run from your smart phone. The only "issue" with his stuff is that he's using the Stout Tanks. The Stout Tanks are great but getting them has been a problem lately.

That is what I have found as well. The stout tanks are a great deal but it seems like there is a perpetual 6 month wait for availability.

Try to get your hands on an old milk vat from a farm. That's what aspiring brewers used to do back in the 80's before you could buy microbrewery equipment commercially.

I started looking at Chinese built products as well. There are several suppliers I have contacted that are actually just re-sellers/importers of this stuff. A brewery I've talked with saved a bunch of $$$ by going this route and bypassing the importers. It took two trips to China but was apparently worth it in the end. I also hear there is a lot of crap product over there as well.

Back