HOLY STOUT!!! there's beer everywhere!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
What a morning it has been! Yesterday I brewed up a courage imperial stout. Everything went great.....UNTIL...this morning. I decided to go back into my spare room(beer room) to see if I had any activity and what a surprise I found. I've got such good fermentation happening that it BLEW! the lid off my fermentation bucket and I'm foaming like nothing I've ever seen before.

So I've spent all of my morning containing the crazy foam, and now I've removed my airlock and there is just foam spuing everywhere.

Now I called my local friend and brewer and he said this can be normal for high alcohol stouts. He said to just let the foam keep coming out the airlock hole until it calms down and then re-air lock it and watch it closely.

Just wanted to run this by all of you and see if this has happened to anyone else.

What a mess! but the beer smells great! and looks great!

Any other recommendations on what I should do at this point so I don't have any more blow ups?

Nottingham and pitched one package. And super active is definelty the word! LOL its been almost an hour now and I still have foam comming out like crazy! LOL God I'm glad my wife isn't home for this!

Some people use a blowoff tube (1"). I just pull out the airlock, set the fermenter in the kitchen sink and cover the hole with a pint glass.

If you can't use the sink, get a small tub.

yup David was just thinking on some ways to avoid this in the future. A big sterilte tub would work well I would think. And the pint glass over the top couldn't hurt I'll do that now.

Thanks!

Back