Didn't scrub secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
I have a quick question for you guys. Today I racked my secondary to a keg and after the secondary was empty I filled it with hot water, swished it around, emptied it and then filled it with starsan and hot (170 degree or so) water. It sat for the day and not thinking I emptied it and racked my primary to it without using a scrub brush to clean it. Do you think I'll be ok?

Also, I had to dry hop this batch in the secondary and I put the hops in a bag and racked on top of the bag. However half the bag is above the beer and floating. I've seen the "put the marbles in the bag" trick, etc but not until after I realized what was going on and it was too late. Do you think I'm wasting hops or will they eventually soak up brew over the next 7 days and be ok?

Thanks!

Tim

About the carboy- "clean" is clean. I mean, if it's clean, there isn't any reason to scrub. I use some plastic carboys (better bottles) and buckets, so I never scrub anything with a brush unless it's a glass carboy that needs it. If it's clean to your eye, and it's free from debis, it's clean. After it's clean, then it can be sanitized.

I never use marbles or anything for dryhopping. The hops will soak up some beer, and sort of float on top. As long as the hops are in contact with the beer, you're fine.

Hi Tim, here's what I do:

1. fill carboy with hot water and oxiclean, let it soak for a few hours or days, depending upon how caked on the grunge is; empty it, rinse and swish as necessary - I never have to scrub

2. when you get ready to use it again, I rinse it again to get rid of any dust, and then use a no-rinse sanitizer - I use idophor, but star san is another good one - this is a very important step - #1 above is cleaning, this is sanitizing, two distinct and important steps

As for your dry hopping, they may keep floating on top, but they are definitely soaking up wort - it will be fine.

Cheers!

Thanks guys!!!

and Yooper, I have my eye on that DFH 60 minute clone. It's gonna be my next brew.

Cheers!

Tim

I do the same as Pappers but I don't soak mine. I put in a scoop of oxyclean with some water and swirl it around for a couple minutes and then keep rinsing it until the water doesn't come out soapy any more. Then rinse it again before I use it and sanitize with Iodophor.

Back