Using yeast cake stil need to double pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Planned on doing a SN celebration ale clone this weekend with an expected OG of 1.075. I was jut going to throw it on a California ale yeast cake after I bottlethe other brew. Should this provide enough happy yeasts to avoid me needing to add more? I'm leaning towards yes.

In a related note, I forgot to filter this and would like to get the grub out. Can I follow standard washing procedures first then put the gathered yeast back in the bucket and put the new brew on that? Obviously trying to avoid a starter since I plan to bottle Saturday and brew Sunday.

Can I follow standard washing procedures first then put the gathered yeast back in the bucket and put the new brew on that? Obviously trying to avoid a starter since I plan to bottle Saturday and brew Sunday.

IMO, this would be the preferred method, and make it easier to get the proper amount of yeast. The entire yeast cake would likely be overpitching. Check out http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to get a good idea of exactly how much yeast you need.

meh....I'd be tempted to pitch right on the yeast cake without washing...washing is extra work and increased chance for contamination....that trub will get mixed up when you rack your wort on top of the cake, but will settle out again quickly.

Yeah, you are probably overpitching, but I'm not sure it mess anything up....choice is yours though.

Pitching on a cake is like making a 5 gallon starter. Maybe it's too much yeast, but I've never had a problem.

Back